Mars 83 MC2

Document and share your build!

Mars 83 MC2

Postby auditrippin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:52 pm

Picked up my urq in CO off Craigslist almost 2 years ago now. I promptly tore the suspension off of it and the front end. Front bumper, hood, rear spoiler and side mirrors are currently at paint shop. The car is pretty rust free but has some scrapes and dings from being used as it was deserved in the CO mountains. The MC2 was swapped in around 96 from the receipts I have. Unfortunately they did not upgrade the engine harness.

I ended up tossing the 2B coils on quickly with spare 034 bushings I had laying around as life got busy. Now I am finally moved into my new house with my newly 1st and only wife. Anyway, tonight I pulled off the front suspension to see why I had so much side to side play. Seems the 034 strut mounts are collapsed. So I put some Meyel units on them, still may order the AK solid mounts.

Here are my plans for the car

Engine, It is staying with the MC2 as it ran pretty good with it. The MC2 supposedly had 50k miles on it when swapped in and another 50k on it in the urq. I am looking for a K24 turbo. I have also sourced an MC2 harness with stock ECU. Although a couple connectors on the harness have been clipped. So I am still on the look out for another complete harness. The MC2 harness also came with an uninstalled "F1" chip. I can not find any info on that, so I may or may not use it. Would really like another ECU with chip already installed from a known running car. Also have a 7A windage tray I think I'll install while the front suspension is out. On the shelf is all new 034 cooling hoses including the aux rad. Picked up an RS2 fan cage and 200 20v fan, looking into the 2B radiator. I live in phoenix and want good cooling.

I parted a complete 4kq not too long after buying the urq. I saved almost everything. Uncut interior harness, all the dash components, Vacuum boost, etc.

Brakes
-Reman URS4 rear calipers with 4kq e-brake cables. Saved the E-brake mechanism off the 4kq to make this work
-Fronts are stock for now
-4kq vac booster/ PS pump

Suspernsion
-2b coil overs with Konis
-4kq rear subframe, Going to cut and weld the rear sway bar brackets onto the 4kq unit
-all new bushings, front pretty much done. May order AK mounts while I have the front apart right now.

The intimidating stuff
-Swapping the 4kq interior harness with complete 4kq dash set up and fuse box. The PO said the under dash fuse box has been "perminately fixed" What ever that means
-Installing MC2 harness

I should say when I got the car it had been ran off the road and then parked. It had a big gash in the oil pan and one of the front hubs completely separated and was tore up. Driggs hooked me up with a hub and I had new wheel bearing pressed in both the fronts. Installed the 7a pan, but faught with the windage tray. Although while I am this far into the front suspension again I will try to install it. Also did new new TB/WP and fuel filter.

So here are some pics and I should be able to update on my night shifts. Please feel free to comment and offer suggestions!

Coming home and at my bachelor pad.

How I found the front hub

Snub mount bracket broken too. Not sure if I found the proper replacement or not. Still digging out parts.

Suspension together

Parts 4kq. The odo on this one was 23k miles.... Guy I purchased it from guessed it had 60k on it. He was screwing around in the desert and found a ditch, bent the car in the middle.... Stupid clean car.

Bumper work. Buddy of mine at work took on this project. He was a body guy and does a little side business now. Hopefully he shoots paint soon

In it's new home

auditrippin

Re: Mars 83 MC2

Postby PRY4SNO » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:18 am

Awesome first post. Looking forward to more updates.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby DE80q » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:36 am

That is a nice car! So you are going to keep the CIS? With changing to the MAC14, make sure the CIS is the correct one. I believe the MC2 metering head is different.
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
1991 Audi Coupe Quattro (project: my first 20v)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2014 Chevy traverse (It's what she wanted)
DE80q

Postby Afterthought » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:09 am

You got that car for a steal, man. Steal.

Azev A's on the wall going to go on it?
Afterthought

Postby auditrippin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:01 am

DE80q wrote:That is a nice car! So you are going to keep the CIS? With changing to the MAC14, make sure the CIS is the correct one. I believe the MC2 metering head is different.

I planned on staying CIS, I never had any issue with it in any of my B2's. Thank you for the heads up. I am pretty sure everything is KX but the block and head in the car. Ideally I would find a 200 10vt for cheap so I could compare them side by side and then start transferring over everything I need. My thought process is the MAC-14 is going to optimize the MC2 engine giving it more power. Maybe I am wrong?

Afterthought wrote:You got that car for a steal, man. Steal.

Azev A's on the wall going to go on it?

lol. I thought it was a pretty fair price for both parties when I picked it up. My teeth were uncontrollably chattering it was so cold. Looked it over the best I could, but my mind was pretty much made up before I got there and I think he knew that.

Yes, the Azevs are planned for the urq. I did get those for a pretty good deal ;)

Tonight I got the rear diff and sub frame out. Guess Audi didn't get around to triple squares when building the early cars. Was able to get all allens out with out stripping any, luckily. The red headed step child helped me out some, but I wouldn't let him do the allens. Better me strip one than him.

I have taken apart many a 4kq and B3q, but never have I come across this secondary vac box with a cable that runs to the transmission from the rear diff. What the hell is this for?

And finally my least favorite surprise of the night.... One rear sub frame bolt is not like the other... :bangshead: Looks like some one welded on a sleeve and then cross threaded a bolt up through it. I put the impact on it and the bolt head immediately snapped off. I have seen this happen to others, but a first for me. I will sleep on it, but most likely cut it smooth with the grinder, cut in a window and drop a new nut in if I can.

The rear sub frame and diff will go to work with me this weekend where I will pressure wash it. I'll also have one of my mechanics cut the rear sub frame mounts off the urq subframe and weld them onto the 4kq subframe. (I don't weld) I was able to hold the 4kq subframe in place and get a measurment for the 034 spherical rear tie rods. Looks like the 15.5" units will work.
auditrippin

Postby mr_aj_johnson » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:16 am

I have a k24 laying around. I think it had 135k on the mc2 I pulled it from. 50$ and it's yours Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
mr_aj_johnson

Postby auditrippin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:00 pm

mr_aj_johnson wrote:I have a k24 laying around. I think it had 135k on the mc2 I pulled it from. 50$ and it's yours Image

PM sent!!
auditrippin

Postby AudiSport4000 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Glad you found your way here, Russ ;)

Looking forward to seeing progress on this. What a steal!
1986 4kq CE
2018 GTI Autobahn
AudiSport4000

Postby auditrippin » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:27 am

So I’m stupid, the extra vac actuator for the rear diff is for the center diff. :drunk:
auditrippin

Postby auditrippin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:44 pm

small update,

Got some cleaning done and some parts ordered. Compared the 4000q and urq rear sub frames. I may not be able to use the urq sub frame sway bar mounts on the 4000q subframe as the tie rod mounting points are in the same location. Still need to investigate more.

As for the welded/ broken rear sub frame bolt....

I cut it down and realized the bolt was still up through the nut. It appears they welded on the metal bushing insert while the subframe was still on the car as the bushing was pretty melted. So I cut it down as far as I could and drilled and tapped out the nut. Worked great, but took a ton of time and patience. I tried an easy out, but the bolt would not budge. Went ahead and ran the tap through the other 3 subframe nuts to clean the threads up.

Wednesday I was supposed to get some more work done on the urq, but plans change. My red headed step child has an E36 convertible and has been eyeing E36 M3's. So I have gone to look at a handful with him over the last few months. They are either too much $$, too beat, or one had been previously wrecked twice. So 10:30pm Tuesday night he gets home from work and shows me one FS in Costa Mesa. It checks all of his boxes and appears to be a good car. He already talked to the small shop and it was still available. We tried to leave that night but the wife made us wait until 4:30am to leave. It is a little rough around the edges, but appears to be a good solid car. The owner tossed in some extra parts and I rented a u-haul to get out of paying Cali Taxes and temp tags. 17 hours after we left, we pulled it into my shop in PHX. The boy is delighted and I have some thing else to suck up my free time, besides the new kitchen the wife has to have...

auditrippin

Postby Afterthought » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:59 pm

That e36 looks to be in great shape and probably best bang for his buck in the BMW cars. To me that is the last one that has that small, agile , lightweight feel. The e46 feels huge and heavy.
I’ve tried to do the BMW thing a few times with some e30s but It just doesn’t feel like the Audi’s do to me 82-95 Audi feels like home . Had some fun with my E30 and swapped in an S50 and it was really a potent car , quick and wanted to get sideways all the time
Afterthought

Postby auditrippin » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:12 pm

It has been unmodded.. The exhaust is a hack weld job with the mid section straight piped. You can tell it had a cold air intake and the OEM box was sloppily thrown in. Has new Depo headlights, but the low beams do not work. Just a bunch of piddly stuff that needs addressed. Only 125k on it though and has black Vaders in very nice shape.

I can't get into them either. I'll work on it and help with the research for the boy though. I really tried to get him to go for a B5 S4, but he was set in stone on the E36.

I bet your E30 was a blast to drive. I only test drove this one and it did pull really well. Your builds are great, I am sure that one was no different.
auditrippin

Postby Afterthought » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:43 pm

Yeah the Vaders are super cool. I noticed the e36 engine has nice torque for driving around town. Good powerband, at least for around here where there is not a lot of high speed stuff .

Re: your subframe
I though I remembered hearing that maybe it was possible to put a 4000 subframe in the rear of the urq ? that way you’d have the sway bar and the mounts already , but I don’t know if this is for sure or not . I grabbed a couple 4000s and I was going to experiment with this in my urq soon. I don’t know if or how the diff mounting differs
Afterthought

Postby auditrippin » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:49 pm

At a glance the rear diff and transmission mounts look to be pretty identical, as do the A arm mounts. The issue I see with using a front sub frame on the rear is where do you mount the tie rods and you would need to cut off the center diff mount and weld it onto the front sub frame. Alignment would need to be perfect for tie rods and the diff mount. It will be much easier to weld on a piece of flat strap to make sway bar mounts to the 4kq rear sub frame. I actually did this years ago on my first 4kq. I think I will run a stock CGT front sway bar on the back, If I can find one. Then I will install a universal poly sway bar end link kit into the a-arms similar to the front set up. Or you can use front A arms and have the appropriate guides built in for the OEM links, If you can find them ;)

Today I mounted up the diff to the 4kq sub frame. Wire brushed the outside and then cleaned the inner rear CV and driveshaft grease all out and regreased. Also pulled the vac actuator bracket, glass bead blasted and painted it.

I took lots of pics of how the differential vacuum system goes back together but thats about it. If I want to take pics I have to remove my phone from the stereo and I am not all about that.

These 4kq parts are so clean! Factory paint, just a pressure wash. I ordered new bushings for it, but decided to leave the originals as they are still tight with no cracking at all.

auditrippin

Postby DE80q » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:16 am

I'll look, but I'm pretty sure I have a pair of arms with sway bar links.
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
1991 Audi Coupe Quattro (project: my first 20v)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2014 Chevy traverse (It's what she wanted)
DE80q

Postby mr_aj_johnson » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:16 am

Crap, well now that you have all these really nice clean painted 4000 bits. I have a complete b3 20v rear subframe with factory sway bar and all associated accoutrements.

mr_aj_johnson

Return to Projects