Need help/opinions on suspension upgrades.

General automotive discussion

Need help/opinions on suspension upgrades.

Postby Lucky » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:56 pm

The car is a 1988 audi 80 quattro with v3 coilovers.
I'm looking for some input into some new suspension pieces. Currently on the local track I am eating the outside edge of my tires (running bfg rival s). I have the camber maxed out on the stock components and am stuck on what would be the best route to take for better suspension geometry.
The two large options I am looking at are the ak motorsports tubular control arms or the akmotorsports subframe.

The control arms will give me an extra degree or two of castor and allow me to add more camber.

If I go the subframe route I could raise the inner end of the control arm 20mm increasing its angle which would help with camber loss when the wheel is loaded. I wouldn't have to run with as much camber dialed in. The lca is horizontal with the current setup.

While I would love to do both for the most adjustability. The budget may not allow it if I also want to go to the track and use it haha.

Does anyone have experience with either option or have input on what may be the most effective choice.
1988 audi 80, 1994 Urs4, 2005 Ranger
Lucky

Re: Need help/opinions on suspension upgrades.

Postby PRY4SNO » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:58 pm

I've been eyeing two different subframe options... the AK MS one and another by DM Developments (who work with James Dorrey aka Chef and his time attack S2 on S2forum).

Their website is down for redesign, here's a link to a post on their IG feed:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfDaeFmHEkn/

They also make a killer billet steering rack bracket that looks promising.

No practical experience to add yet, but those are some bits on my radar for future upgrades.

Out of curiosity, how have your strut mounts fared with all the abuse? Some aftermarket options allow for extra camber & caster adjustment, Comp Brake and AK MS come to mind.

https://www.akmotorsport.net/shop/all-p ... mm-offset/
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby Lucky » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 pm

Currently my front strut mounts are a set of mance mounts. You can see them if you zoom at the top of the picture.

They are holding up great! My rears are beat to hell though, I have a new set to go in when it comes out of storage. I saw the ak strut mounts but dont really want to lose the mance mounts. They work really well. I'm not sure if there will be enough adjustability fin the strut mounts for what I want.

That dm developments subframe looke great but there is only one mounting point for the control arms. The ak one has 3 different heights to choose from. Is the FM subframe something they sell or a one off for their own project.

Is the steering rack bracket the one that both tie rods bolt to? I had a bolt loosen on me at the track, that's a sketchy feeling. It's like someone added a 1 second delay to any input in the opposite direction haha

I'm going to look into the time attack s2, thanks for the heads up on that.
Lucky

Postby lorge1989 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:07 pm

More pics of the car? Its cool seeing this stuff get used and abused. What standalone are you using with the ABZ?
1988 Audi 90Q 1.8T 20v megasquirt'd and Holset'd
1994 Audi 90Q ABZ
2003 VW Jetta TDI
1978 GMC High Sierra

http://dubsinthebuff.com
lorge1989

Postby Lucky » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:47 pm

lorge1989 wrote:More pics of the car? Its cool seeing this stuff get used and abused. What standalone are you using with the ABZ?

I just switched to vems fron the old 034iic unit. I used an adaptor harness so I have it as an emergency spare just in case.
Everything you need to know should be in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2938
Lucky

Return to General