The 90

Document and share your build!

The 90

Postby Afterthought » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:46 pm

I went with straight runners for this one . It’s nearly done but I need to decide on throttle body and finish the inlet .
For the throttle body I would like to use something in the ballpark of 70mm or 2.75”.

Now my hold up, on the inlet I need a 2.75” ID 90 degree ell in a fairly tight radius . Never mind the radius I can’t find any aluminum Ells at all, besides intake charge piping which is too thin for my manifold .
This is about the only thing I think could work,
And it’s maybe even tighter than what I would want . The description says 1.5mm thickness but If it’s the same as the one in the picture that can’t be right . https://express.google.com/u/0/product/ ... KUEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Afterthought on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Afterthought

Re: The 90

Postby DE80q » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:57 pm

Look up the part# through vibrant. When I did the cast tight 90's on my intercooler, I think it was more than 4mm wall thickness.
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
1991 Audi Coupe Quattro (project: my first 20v)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2014 Chevy traverse (It's what she wanted)
DE80q

Postby Afterthought » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:18 pm

DE80q wrote:Look up the part# through vibrant. When I did the cast tight 90's on my intercooler, I think it was more than 4mm wall thickness.

I couldn’t find it on their website but that would make a lot more sense
Afterthought

The 90

Postby Afterthought » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:19 pm

DE80q wrote:Look up the part# through vibrant. When I did the cast tight 90's on my intercooler, I think it was more than 4mm wall thickness.

I couldn’t find that dimension listed on their website but that would make a lot more sense
Afterthought

Postby DE80q » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:33 pm

I found one made by another company listing ID 2.375" OD 2.750". So that would be a .1875 wall. Something to take into consideration. You might also try to find a "donut", you can find them on a lot of fabrication websites.

Dallastown, PA
DE80q

Postby Afterthought » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:35 am

Yeah I will have to keep searching around I guess.
Another thing I should consider is if I can run the slimmest possible throttle body facing straight forward and run a tight radius silicone elbow out of it, because silicone ones are all over.
Afterthought

Postby DE80q » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:46 am

When I was doing my intercooler, the tightest radius I could find was the cast alum. ones. Even at that, I had to chop them down to get the radius as close as I could to clear the fog lights.

Dallastown, PA
DE80q

The 90

Postby Afterthought » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:39 am

Ok yeah I looked at it again. So here’s how much space I have to work with . I should be able to do a 90 degree ell downward and towards the middle id I want to do a center inlet IC , and if not , I will do a custom end tank I guess . If there is an OTS intercooler I can get I will do that .
Hopefully I can fit one in there , and the closest spot (crank pulley) there is only 5.5” of space

So now that the engine is sitting in the car- not for good, but anyway I can finish the exhaust header, so I have three things left to do . Weld the head flange on without warping it , weld the turbo inlet flange, and finish the wastegate .
I took the strongback and drilled the proper holes in it so I can get bolts and fasten it down right before I do this welding , the flange is only barely tacked in right now .
The strongback is thicc as hell and milled perfectly flat , so I’m hoping if I bolt this down tight and don’t weld too much in any one area , let it cool, repeat , it should be ok.

I then need to trim the collector and weld on the turbo inlet V-band , again , without warping it . Not my specialty ...

Then after than , I can get the WG feed pipe and flange on. I was planning on using 1.5” sch 10 for that and putting it at a slight angle.
Afterthought

Postby DE80q » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:58 am

That should be strong enough to keep the head flange flat. The "T" structure will help with that a lot.

As for the V bands, a long time ago, I made up a buch of thick aluminum V band plugs for Tim. They were solid aluminum, and were used as back purge locations as well was heat sinks. From what he has told me, they worked very well to keep things flat while welding.

Dallastown, PA
DE80q

Postby Afterthought » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:51 am

Yeah I think last time I did this I welded it with it clamped to the turbo hot side ha. I should make some of those plugs though, on the lathe. be real nice to have a few.
Afterthought

The 90

Postby Afterthought » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:45 am

I’ve not had a break from work yet but I received a few things I can try out .

Throttle body with flange , hopefully I can adapt the TPS to it ,

The cast inlet piece from vibrant .

Hopefully with those two parts I can decide whether the TB should go straight on the front or curve and then add the TB ... and this maybe will help decision on intercooler size /inlet location
Afterthought

The 90

Postby Afterthought » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:58 pm

I asked a friend what intercooler is good for b3 and he recommended Treadstone vertical flow . So if I look at those there are two that right off the bat appear to be a decent fit for the space I have .
TRSTP (center outlet, passenger side inlet)
TRV25 . Side inlet/outlet

I think the center outlet would be preferable but a little tighter fit . It would be similar to what Jim has except not as cool because I couldn’t bend the runners right for my intake manifold, to make my inlet on the bottom like his

I tried making a model of the TRV25 and I can see that I would have to remake the end tank as the outlet points directly at the headlight . So I could point it straight back and lower the intercooler possible

if I was to do center Inlet I should be able to make this work . I may have to shorten the throttle body and shorten the elbow more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Afterthought

Postby audifreakjim » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:42 pm

I've been real happy with my treadstone vertical flow. From the pictures, it looks like using a silicone 45 to an outlet pointing strait up on the drivers side may be the best bet. I think it's going to be tight trying to get that in the middle unless you go with a shorter core. Or move the intercooler over towards the passenger side and make a custom cross member. That's what I did, I you look close, mine is not centered.
audifreakjim

Postby Afterthought » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:28 pm

Yes , it looks quite like your setup and that’s why I was thinking I may be able to use that intercooler . No matter which route I go my intake will have more bends .
The more I work on it i realize how genius your Audi sport dual plenum Manifold is , having the TB directly on the front like that .
I was going to go for it but I couldn’t get the bend right on the runners . Image

I did get an IE intake for revision 2 though, but I haven’t cut it up yet .
Afterthought

Postby the german » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:08 pm

I still vote buy a core and weld you own end tanks so it’s exactly what you want!
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
2011 A4 2.0T Avant (ok, it's my wife's car but it's sexy and I love it)
the german

Postby Afterthought » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:15 am

I am going to have to order a radiator core too. No idea where to get that but I need to look at the sizing and see what I can get . The stock one ford at a tilt so I don’t think I will have to go too small

Damn this stuff is expensive
Afterthought

Postby Foscora » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:09 am

Amazing fab work!
Foscora

Postby audifreakjim » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:57 am

I ordered mine from here, the core is very high quality http://www.theradiatorlady.com/
audifreakjim

The 90

Postby Afterthought » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Man I haven’t had any time to work on anything , but I set aside some time to install this used lift I got , so I could catch up on things that need to be done on the urq .
Now with that done I can dedicate this lift to the 07k project and hopefully keep moving along . I’m trying to mentally make a list of what needs to be done .

Aside from some straight sections of stainless , I have all of the parts I need to complete the intake and exhaust . I’m trying to source another 7163 to use with this set up so I can get the manifold flanged and in place , but before all that I’m thinking I will pull the engine back out , and revisit the clutch , flywheel, and starter. Once I make sure all that is good I can install the linkage and get the engine and trans set in place, figure out axle , do the intake and exhaust

I don’t plan on doing anything with the engine just yet . I have a few of these engines in varying conditions and would like to see if I can get the car running and how my oil pressure and everything else looks before I build and put in the forged crank engine - hopefully that will work .
Afterthought

Postby Afterthought » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Damn this stuff takes a long time . I’m still battling with the header .
I have everything done but the wastegate take off now .
v-band flange is on and head flange is on and the great news is they are not warped which is a win for me .
I kept is as compact as possible but next time id do the wastegate take off before finishing the collector and for sure I’d leave more room for the bolts .

This is the proposed wastegate location . Cut this 15 Deg bend in half , make it nice and short pipe and I’ll have to figure out how to drill a 1.5” hole in Sch. 10 321 stainless . Great
Afterthought

Postby alxdgr8 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 pm

Carbide tipped hole saw?
-Alex-
@vexartmedia @odd.cylinders @5cylinder_porsche
1992 Porsche 968 (07K transplant in progress)
1983 Aud UrQ (MC1, GT2871R, IIc)
1986 Audi Coupe GT (7A swap and more)
2003 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood; DD; Collecting 6MT parts)
alxdgr8

Postby PRY4SNO » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:56 am

Plasma torch if you're fancy.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby Afterthought » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:22 pm

I’m afraid to take the plasma cutter to it but i guess maybe I could , then clean up with a dremel.

I might try the hole saw first

I happened to be out at my shop for a bit so I pulled the engine and trans today so I can revisit and finish a few things .
I need to finish the flywheel /clutch / starter stuff and get that solidified so I can move forward. At this point I can work on the linkage too , figure out how to attach the little cross bar on there .
Afterthought

Previous

Return to Projects