Kenny' s B3 Coupe Build

Document and share your build!

Re: Kenny' s B3 Coupe Build

Postby PRY4SNO » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:34 am

Really enjoy the pace of your progress, there are a lot of little things happening at once.

Thank goodness for Mr. Gerner. Having such an astute professional who is willing to spend his time helping us little folk is a tremendous resource.

Really hope TBS works for you. Although I opted to send my crate to Hank, they were an absolute paragon of professionalism during the time I dealt with them. Hope they are open minded throughout the process of your build and don't screw up the little things like the last shop.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby morris400 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks Dustin,

Things are starting to come together a but more yes, next week will be the bigger push once things start arriving.

Battery Relocation:

Need some help here...i have a location picked already in the hatch/boot/trunk area. I will run the wire from there to the engine bay area and im think of doing a kill switch in the stock location.

From there how does the wiring route?

Battery - kill switch - kill switch to starter - starter to alt?

What gauge should i use? 1-or 2? Most kits come with 2 gauge.
2016 VW Jetta 1.4T Daily Driver Stock.
1994 UrS4 - K24 7400 EFI Express tuned
1990 Audi Coupe quattro - BW 6258 EFI express build in progress
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- (Gone)

IF YOU CANT STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS...FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!
morris400

Postby jbrentd » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:33 am

With regards to the battery relocation, here are my plans for my CQ. Would love to hear from others if it sounds good or bad.

* Mounting it in the space where the jack goes. Plan to cut the foam to fit the battery I pick (probably an Odyssey pc925)
* For the negative, I plan to ground it to the chassis within a foot or two of the battery
* For the positive, I plan to put a 200 amp breaker within a foot or two of the battery, then run the rest through the interior and through the firewall (near where the AC lines are). Terminated on the firewall with a junction post. I am still considering a switch to have in the engine compartment.
* Connect everything that was connected to the old positive battery post to that junction post.
* With the left over negative cable, build a new ground wire for the engine to replace the old braided cable that was connected to the old battery tray.
* As for size of cable, it may be overkill, but I am using 2/0 (double aught) for positive and negative. I bought 15 ft of positive (came with lugs and heat shrink tubing) and 5 ft of negative.
jbrentd

Postby morris400 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:29 pm

Seems we are looking to do the same thing. I like the kill switch idea but in suspose the circut breaker could act as the same thing no? Planning to order all my relocation stuff this week and get that and the water meth done soon.
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- (Gone)

morris400

Postby jbrentd » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:34 pm

morris400 wrote:Seems we are looking to do the same thing. I like the kill switch idea but in suspose the circut breaker could act as the same thing no? Planning to order all my relocation stuff this week and get that and the water meth done soon.

That's the way I see it too. The one I am looking at is manually controllable and reset-able.

jbrentd

Postby Neacail » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:54 pm

Hey Kenny, when you're doing your battery cables and stuff, remind me to lend you the proper crimpers. I've got the hydraulic ones and manual ones to do a nice job. Can get you the nice plated cast copper ends too.
Neacail

Postby morris400 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:33 pm

Im looking at the same switch as well, probably what ill go with.

Neacail, i will take you up on that offer. Should be doing that stuff nexrlater this week...need to order it today.
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- (Gone)

morris400

Postby morris400 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:48 pm

jbrentd wrote:With regards to the battery relocation, here are my plans for my CQ. Would love to hear from others if it sounds good or bad.

* Mounting it in the space where the jack goes. Plan to cut the foam to fit the battery I pick (probably an Odyssey pc925)
* For the negative, I plan to ground it to the chassis within a foot or two of the battery
* For the positive, I plan to put a 200 amp breaker within a foot or two of the battery, then run the rest through the interior and through the firewall (near where the AC lines are). Terminated on the firewall with a junction post. I am still considering a switch to have in the engine compartment.
* Connect everything that was connected to the old positive battery post to that junction post.
* With the left over negative cable, build a new ground wire for the engine to replace the old braided cable that was connected to the old battery tray.
* As for size of cable, it may be overkill, but I am using 2/0 (double aught) for positive and negative. I bought 15 ft of positive (came with lugs and heat shrink tubing) and 5 ft of negative.

Do you have a picture or coule you tell me what is all wired to the oringal battery post? The PO of my car took everthing out and i have no idea what was connected and where.
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- (Gone)

morris400

Postby jbrentd » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:36 am

From memory, mine has the larger gauge cable going to the starter, one to a relay for my aftermarket subwoofer and one to my headlight relays.
jbrentd

Postby morris400 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:53 pm

Battery relocation stuff all came in today...ive had to stop my parts spending as of NOW! The machine shop will be done with my block tomorrow and ill be picking it up.

There is some concern, they did the hone and decked it. All good there they then spent 2h wire brushing the block after i said no! They said there was a "coating" on the block and figured i wanted it off. Yes i do want it off but im not going to pay someone $300 to do what i can do for free. They wire brushed and soda blasted the block anyway at no charge.

When doingbthe balance, they said they have to add weight to rhe crank. Now ive been told this is rare on the I5 from a few people but the shop is saying there machine says they need to remove weight where they cant and are adding weight. Took 3 hours to get ahold of them today, at which point they had already started adding weight. This is a $600 charge that i did not approve, and im sitting on 2 spare cranks that may have been better to use. Ill be asking for some compensation on that as i never approved the work, i actually tried calling and sent an email that said "Call me NOW!"

Ill see what i can do tomorrow. Hoping for the best, but as it sits im 600$ more into maching then i thought.

More to follow tomorrow. Fingers crossed
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- (Gone)

morris400

Postby DE80q » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:20 pm

That is crazy! I work in the repair industry, and if there is an unexpected major cost change, for any reason, the customer has to be notified, and approve the change in an. Otherwise, we end up eating the cost of the "extras".
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
1991 Audi Coupe Quattro (project: my first 20v)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2019 Chevy Cruze RS hatch (wife's little red sporty car)
DE80q

Postby jbrentd » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:27 pm

I hear you on curbing the spending. It’s so hard not to do all the “while I’m in there” stuff when doing a swap.

Also can’t believe they did work twice without your consent.
jbrentd

Postby morris400 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:59 pm

Its pretty much the story of my life up here with machine shops. Even when i explained exactly what I wanted and sent them all the information from Jeff Gerner...i still get the short straw.

Im hoping that what they did was correct and the added weight was necessary. There is just not enough 5 cyl experience up here in western Canada. If shipping to Marc or Jeff is out of the budget then we are stuck taking a risk on a local shop. This is why i opted to assemble the engine myself ...im.not professional but at least i can take my time and go slow.

They treated my block like a old Chevy 350 and did alot of unnecessarily work, so of which they owned up to, but ill need to discuss the mallory charges tomorrow. Not super impressed.
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- (Gone)

morris400

Postby Afterthought » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:51 am

morris400 wrote:Its pretty much the story of my life up here with machine shops. Even when i explained exactly what I wanted and sent them all the information from Jeff Gerner...i still get the short straw.

Im hoping that what they did was correct and the added weight was necessary. There is just not enough 5 cyl experience up here in western Canada. If shipping to Marc or Jeff is out of the budget then we are stuck taking a risk on a local shop. This is why i opted to assemble the engine myself ...im.not professional but at least i can take my time and go slow.

They treated my block like a old Chevy 350 and did alot of unnecessarily work, so of which they owned up to, but ill need to discuss the mallory charges tomorrow. Not super impressed.

Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is there... I have had two I-5 rotating assemblies balanced by a company that specializes in balancing and they both did add weight, (I was also using lighter flywheels, and aftermarket forged rods in those builds). But anyways my entire machine shop bill (resurface block, rebuild head, valve grind, balancing) was under $600, so I'm not sure how they can be telling you that is a $600 charge.
Afterthought

Postby morris400 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:52 am

Its nice to hear they had to add weight to yours. At least i know im.not the only one.

I wish machine work up here was 600 for all that. Up here that list would run close to 3k. As it is now, im ar 1600 for decked and honed block and crank balance.

Here are a couple pictures of work i got done yesterday. I plan to reassumble today. Is it best to use assemble lube or just some oil to assemble the oil pump and filter housing?

2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- (Gone)

morris400

Postby PRY4SNO » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 pm

I've seen guys pack oil pumps with vaseline. It is petroleum based but not sure on the wisdom/efficiency of that practice.

I can tell you one thing, I'd be fit to be tied if a shop made decisions for me and expected me to pay for unauthorized repair/diagnosis. In fact, last time that happened, on a dieselgate repair, a local vw shop asked me not to come back again. They called me four months later to have the "power steering fluid flushed" as part of seasonal maintenance lol (car has an electric PS pump, she was flabbergasted when I mentioned that).

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby morris400 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:02 pm

And yet again....another machine shop fail! This time worse the the last time.

All was going good. Until i called the shop ( yes incalled cause communication was / is piss poor) to get an update on things. They said they are in the balance process, but their machine indicates they have to add weight to the crank. I said ok, how much and is that an extra charge on top of the balance job. He said alot of weight and yes its extra.

At this point i was getting worried, and spoke with Jeff Gerner, known as a god when it come to the old 5 cyl. He said they are fucking up and should not be adding any weight. The AAN cranks NEVER get weight added, only removed.

I called the shop back to have them verify their calculations but was told they would call me back so my tech was busy. So i fired an email(i should have drove doen there) saying stop. They need to re check their calculations cause something is not right.

I got a call back, 4h later, at this point they had spent 3h adding metal to which is about $200 per hour. He then assured me that their machine is correct and my crank was way off.

Move to today:
I called to get an update on what was going on, and was told that once again id get a call back...after 2 hours still nothing. So i called again and once again i was told hes busy. ...he finally did call tomsay all is good and they are done.....final invoice $1861.00!

Super pissed i drove over and demanded explanation on why its so high. He said they had to add 5 pc of metal to balance it. I Express my displeasure as this was absolutely insaine. But took my spec sheet and parts and left....peacefully.

When i arrrived home insent my spec to Jeff Gerner in the States and he called me saying the proof they messed up is on the front page.....they balanced my I5 as a V engine using a weight factor of 2 rods per throw. And he said not to run the crank as it will blow all my bearings super quick.

I called the shop back, and explained that they made an error and essentially ruined my crank. He went pretty quiet and said "no no we used 1 rod per throw..." i said " your spec sheet says 2 which is right for a V engine" once again he went quiet. Asked me to send him the sheet and come in monday with a new crank and we can see what to do

As it sits right now, i have 2 spare cranks but they still owe me one now. I even told them to stop and check their calculations! Im not confortanle giving them a second chance and am prettt sure i want a full refund and to part ways again.

I sent them everything they needed to do this and they still fucked it. My pistons are 5G out and my rods are 2G out. Should be 1G max on a full balance. They chipped the ceramic coating on my pistons as well.

All in all im pretty pissed.

2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- (Gone)

morris400

Postby PRY4SNO » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:47 am

This pains me to read, what a boondoggle from start to finish. Sorry about all that, I feel shitty for recommending them but it would seem you had a different experience from square one. Tough to believe that in such an industrial city it's this hard to find a competent machine shop.

With a little luck you'll get a refund on Monday and this will all... balance out in the end. (Too soon?)

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby themagellan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:55 pm

Damn - I am sorry to see that. I am glad you have reserve parts, hope it is up and running soon.
themagellan

Postby morris400 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:09 am

I have reserve parts which is good, as long as they own their musgake and do a full refund ill.be square.

In the mean time, i can work on other thing i suspose. I started on the head tonight as a previous machine shop lost 1 of the washers under the valve seat...and decided to just say fuck it. Lol. (Lots of bad machine shops up here) So thanks to a food friend, he let me borrow his spare AAN slightly damaged head and i was able to salvage the 1 shim i needed.

Also mocked up my fluidamper to see how it all fits...it dont :(..looks like ill need to have about 3mm machined off the hub. The alignment pin on the crank cog does not have a spot to sit in, and the key is hitting the hub. You can see in the pictures.

Ill wait until i figure out the crank issues before i attack the fluidamper.

2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- (Gone)

morris400

Postby morris400 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:28 pm

And it gets worse! Fuck me! I paid for block inspection as the very first thing they did to.

Nice little ring of rust in there.

Oh, and look there...thats pretty fucken neat! Lets just build over that.
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- (Gone)

morris400

Postby morris400 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:21 pm

The machine shop horror may be over now. Speaking with Jeff, hes said that i should be ok with a bit better hone and a good coating on the cyl 5 piston to bring the dimensions back to where they should be.

The machine shop, and i agreed to disagree. They were cought in lies today and refused to accept that they were dishonest. The owner had one story and the tech who did my work both had 2 different stories on how my job went down.

I agreed to let them correct the crank, but refused to let them touch my block again. They had to remove 4/5 heavy metal slugs that put in on friday, and then had to remove an additional 16G of weight after that.

My pistons were not balanced and are 5G apart, and the Rods are 1.2G apart. The crank is balanced now. However i paid for a complete assembly balance as the shop woild not agree to meet in the middle there.

They refunded me $776 of my oringal invoice which was $1861. As none of the heavy metal work was required.

It was a rough day of driving around town, and having 2 shops look at my block. Neither said it was horrible but neither said it was right. I agreed to move on and cut my losses and walk away. I will figure out how to proceed now. But im out 1k and have some useable parts. All my parts are home and i feel a little less stressed.

Heavy metal removed

Swiss chesse crank

New balance sheet.

New boost gauge

034 Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel

All in all, ill sleep tonight. But im still pissed it went down that way. I still need more machine work to get this to a point where im comfortable building the engine but ill get there.
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- (Gone)

morris400

Postby PRY4SNO » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Talk about disappointing. I find it particularly galling that they took the "I know best" approach and screwed up almost everything they touched, paid you back for some of that, but refused to refund you for work they didn't even do.

With any luck all this 'tuition' you're paying at the school of hard knocks will net the local community a machine shop willing to work on our classic Audi parts.

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby morris400 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:51 am

Taking the block into Bel Engines in Edmonton tomorrow. It will come back ready to be build. Today i made some progress, got my battery cables ran. Got the water meth line ran. Will be mounting the battery tray and the rest of the Meth components hopfully tomorrow. I also got the fuel pump pulled and will swap in my Walbro 450 tomorrow.

Were making baby steps.
2001 B5 S4 Stg 3- (Gone)

morris400

Previous

Return to Projects