Modifying 10v/20v Engine to accept the new BIG oil Filter

Do It Yourself!

Modifying 10v/20v Engine to accept the new BIG oil Filter

Postby AngryTaco » Sun May 04, 2014 2:02 am

In order to run the new "updated" 1.8t oil filter, a quick modification needs to be made. This allows you to have more oil and filtration capacity.

This is the boss that needs to be notched or ground down.

After Notching or Grinding

Tadah!

1986 4000cs Turbo Quattro
2001 Dodge Dakota R/T Standard Cab
1990 V8 quattro
1995 urS6

-Hersh Performance and Racing Products-
http://www.hershperformance.com

Powerflex Dealer

Mechanic by day, Machinist by night, Student by Sleep
#thuglife
AngryTaco

Re: Modifying 10v/20v Engine to accept the new BIG oil Filte

Postby Mcstiff » Sun May 04, 2014 2:13 am

The 7a must have a slightly different casting, the same filter spun right onto mine

Mcstiff

Postby AngryTaco » Sun May 04, 2014 2:21 am

I guess so. I thought several people told me the AAN/3b was the same way as my 10v.....maybe they are crazy?
1990 V8 quattro
1995 urS6

Powerflex Dealer

#thuglife
AngryTaco

Postby my2000apb » Sun May 04, 2014 8:31 am

there is a bigger filter available too
950/4
my2000apb

Postby DE80q » Sat May 10, 2014 7:45 pm

AngryTaco wrote:I guess so. I thought several people told me the AAN/3b was the same way as my 10v.....maybe they are crazy?

Not so much. The turbo engines that use the oil cooler adaptor on the filter housing have the filter closer to the block. The non turbo engines have the filter hanging away from the block farther from the factory. Im thinking about ditching the oil cooler and just bolting on a 7a fliter adaptor to go with the 7a pan I am running.
"If you cant find one, make one!"

91 Audi 80q -10vt project
07 Mitsubishi Raider (Dakota in disguise)
DE80q

Postby pilihp2 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:25 pm

DE80q wrote:
AngryTaco wrote:I guess so. I thought several people told me the AAN/3b was the same way as my 10v.....maybe they are crazy?

Not so much. The turbo engines that use the oil cooler adaptor on the filter housing have the filter closer to the block. The non turbo engines have the filter hanging away from the block farther from the factory. Im thinking about ditching the oil cooler and just bolting on a 7a fliter adaptor to go with the 7a pan I am running.

No Cooler on a turbo motor...? Not really a good idea haha
-Phil
87 5ktq - 20vt
05 S4 - "Daily"
16 KTM 690 Duke - just because

-Terrible at responding to PM's
pilihp2

Postby Mcstiff » Sat May 10, 2014 8:37 pm

DE80q wrote:

You can see the oil cooler port in my pic (it's blocked off), I have not measured but it does not seem like the issue. I'd have to check but I believe this is a 3b oil filter mount bolted to the 7a block.

I don't think I'd trade an oil cooler for a slightly larger filter.
Mcstiff

Postby DE80q » Sat May 10, 2014 8:50 pm

pilihp2 wrote:
DE80q wrote:

No Cooler on a turbo motor...? Not really a good idea haha

I have read a lot about the factory oil cooler and that a lot of people delete them when swapping them into a small chassis. My though was to use a 7a filter adaptor and then use an 1.8t type oil cooler. the sandwhich place that uses coolant to cool the oil.

Mcstiff wrote:
DE80q wrote:

You can see the oil cooler port in my pic (it's blocked off), I have not measured but it does not seem like the issue. I'd have to check but I believe this is a 3b oil filter mount bolted to the 7a block.

I don't think I'd trade an oil cooler for a slightly larger filter.

Sorry I didnt look that close at the pic. I just went off the 7a part of what you posted. :hide:

As for the oil cooler, most of what I had read was that with the 10vt, you dont really need the cooler unless you are tracking the car. quite a few people I had talked to that had put them into small chassis cars said that they used the NA filter adaptor and let it go at that. I did keep the cooler on my current setup, but where I could find space to put it, I dont think it will really be any good.
"If you cant find one, make one!"

91 Audi 80q -10vt project
07 Mitsubishi Raider (Dakota in disguise)
DE80q

Postby AngryTaco » Sat May 10, 2014 9:57 pm

You dont want to coke the turbo up. Run the cooler.
1990 V8 quattro
1995 urS6

Powerflex Dealer

#thuglife
AngryTaco

Return to DIY Write-ups