Standalone Comparisons

Discuss VEMS and other standalone ECUs

Re: Standalone Comparisons

Postby PRA4WX » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:22 pm

Marc wrote:its also a $2800 ecu, no audi PnP available and not even sure it supports the trigger type.

Not certain if i'm not understanding, but i know of at least one 1.8t audi guy running the Infinity series....
PRA4WX

Postby Juizer » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:11 am

Funny.. Just last week red about 280Z Datsun with aan engine, twin turbos, 10000rpm, billet diffuser plenum intake, and AEM Infinity ecu.
Juizer

Postby Foscora » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:16 am

Good that this post goes up, I'm still thinking on buying VEMS for a 10v project.

However, standalone EFI aren't common in my area and the only tuners around me seems to be MS(and Sybele)-only.
Besides those "lel i kno not wat iz VMES, buy ms", I had a more neutral answer which was "As long as it looks like a decent standalone, we could manage to tune it", so here comes my question :

How decent must be a "MS-tuner" to get along with VEMS ?
Foscora

Postby PRY4SNO » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:04 pm

When I made my decision it came down to a few things.

A local tuner who's very reputable dismissed MS3x because it has an unbearable amount of signal noise.

VEMS has great community support. You can easily get a base tune at home and be safe to drive to the dyno.

All the dyno tuner has to do is manage air:fuel:spark. Period. That's it. What's going to complicate things, is, if he's used to Haltech or Motec or MegaSquirt, etc, then he's going to have to adapt to the program/interface of the EMS you choose.

So you're paying for him to learn on the fly. If your base tune is solid, and he's a quick learner, one would hope it won't be too costly.

Another thing to consider is, see if whatever EMS you choose has a dyno in driving distance that you can go to. Get a base tune at home, make sure it seems safe/do necessary tweaks yourself, and drive to the dyno.

Since I bought VEMS, MaxxECU has come on pretty big in Europe. Lots of good features and people seem to like it as a platform. To do it over again, I'd still get VEMS, but that's because there is lots more "regional" support for it compared to others.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby Foscora » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:10 am

Yep that's what I had in mind but wasn't sure to be right.

Thank you :thumbsup:
Foscora

Previous

Return to Standalone Engine Management