Attempting To Tune

Discuss VEMS and other standalone ECUs

Attempting To Tune

Postby S2PIDFST » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:16 pm

So my brothers 4kq AAN stock is running pretty decent, still has a slight sputter...reading the DIY tuning writeup by lox made me draw some questions....its running an 034 IIC 4bar , its stock with a front mount intercooler....whats max boost it can run with out blowing it...its around 18 when it starts to sputter (seems like to much fuel) im thinking 20? .....So my question is this ...if 1 lamda is 14.7...for idle all my cells should be 1.00 correct? I'm down at .74 just to get it at 14.7... it runs fine when it was boosting only 13lbs ran perfect but slow..any help is much appreciated ill post a pic of the Map
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (3.99 MiB) Viewed 2253 times
S2PIDFST

Re: Attempting To Tune

Postby loxxrider » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:54 pm

As far as how much boost you can run, that depends entirely on the details of your hardware. As in, what turbo you are using, what fuel, how the tune is (too much timing and even 10 psi on any turbo could be a problem), etc., etc. Just tell us your general setup and I can tell you how much you can run safely ASSUMING THE TUNE IS IN CHECK.

Don't get actual lambda the engine is yielding confused with some arbitrary number that 034 efi uses to represent the amount of fuel to spray into the engine. I haven't tuned on 034 efi for a long time. Is that the main fuel table? If so, just pretend like those numbers are arbitrary and have nothing to do with lambda. Just look at your actual lambda readings from the engine and increase or decrease the numbers in the table as much as you need to to achieve the actual lambda yielded by the engine which matches what I outlined in that guide.

You say it's breaking up past 18 psi. If it's fuel, you will know it based on your actual lambda reading. If it is reading close to what it should at 18 psi (0.85 or so would be acceptable), then it isn't a fuel problem. It could also be timing related, maybe the spark plugs need to be gapped differently, etc., etc. But lambda will tell you if it's a fueling problem, so that's easy to eliminate.
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v - Revver/BAT project
'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
E34 530i (maybe rear-mount soon)
loxxrider

Postby S2PIDFST » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:13 am

thanks, yea everything is bone stock aan for now, just a front mount intercooler...(not sure what the max boost possible is)seems to be running super rich dips down to 7-8 when the sputter starts ill try to figure it out...stupid computer running windows 10 keeps crashing with 034
S2PIDFST

Postby loxxrider » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:38 am

Ah Ok. Yeah, assuming you have enough fuel you should be able to run about as much boost as that little stock turbo can put out. Anything above about 22 or 23 is just blowing hot air with that turbo though of you ask me. Pf course, going that high on stock injectors is not recommended as they will not provide enough fuel at high boost and rpm combinations. Sounds like you might have something bigger though.
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v - Revver/BAT project
'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
E34 530i (maybe rear-mount soon)
loxxrider

Postby type85 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:19 pm

That main fuel number (main adj)of 47ms is HUGE! I'm running 16.75ms on E85 on a highly tuned N/A 2.6L
running small numbers at idle and low rpm is ok, but something is wrong with that main number.
I was told to not go over 20ms on the injector open time, at full throttle t at high revs, they would effectively never close.
Do you have a vacuum line connected to you pressure regulator? That will help vary the fuel pressure based on load (I actually didn't have it connected for that map, thaqt's why the "idle adj. number" is -.699!)

I would also recommend you change the MAP sensor from a 4bar to a 2.5bar, you've lost half or more of your maps resolution, this will affect drivability.

type85

Postby kieron_32v » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:00 am

Stock injectors main scalar should be around 15iirc from running them on mine in the past.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
1991 CQ20V 4.2 32V ABZ 01E 6spd. 034 IIc EFI turbo project
2002 A6 2.5 TDi V6 Quattro Sport
kieron_32v

Postby S2PIDFST » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:05 pm

Hey thanks, im in the process of changing laptops so hopefully the new one wont crash on me....appreciate all the posts i will try to lower the scaler as soon as i get the laptop up and runnning and keep you guys posted....also yes there is a vac line connected to the FPR
S2PIDFST

Return to Standalone Engine Management