Total noob about to fire up 034 1c for the first time...

Discuss VEMS and other standalone ECUs

Total noob about to fire up 034 1c for the first time...

Postby g60vw » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:55 pm

I'm new here, but I would like some advice on firing up my vw 16v on 034 1c for the first time. I am a total standalone noob. I bought the ecu and harness used and have rebuilt the harness and got it all installed, and I have the map from the PO, but it's for a turbo setup and I'm running NA.

Questions:

Can I try and start it on the turbo map? Is that safe? Or should I search out a different base MAP?

Where do I set my trigger wheel? I've run an ancient Electromotive crank triggered ignition for a few years now and it stated very plainly to align the magnet with the leading edge of the 11th tooth after the -2, but I don't know where to start with the 034. I did see in the GUI a place that looks like where you can enter how many teeth, but again, I'm not sure if that's what that's actually for.

I guess that's all I can come up with right now, I'm not even sure what else to ask at this point.

Thanks in advance,

Garth in Alaska

:hail:
02 B5 S4 Avant KO4'd and stuff
84 Rabbit 16v Racecar- always under development
g60vw

Re: Total noob about to fire up 034 1c for the first time...

Postby loxxrider » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:59 pm

You won't get great 034 ecu support here, but I can at least help you with your first question.

You can absolutely try to start and run the car on the turbo map. At idle and cruising speeds, there is almost nothing you can do to damage the engine due to the tune. If it's way too lean, it just won't run smoothly or at all. If it's way too rich (which most people would think should be safer) actually you can wash down the cylinder walls with fuel which can lead to accelerated wear. That'd require a it to be so rich that you're getting black smoke out the back, and it would take repeated exposure to this for an extended period of time.

So there is nothing to worry about if you just want to see if it'll fire up and run. From there just use your wideband to make sure the fuel is in a reasonable range (it'll take a few minutes to even get a reading... Don't worry about hurting anything) and carry on without worry!
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v - Revver/BAT project
'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
E34 530i (maybe rear-mount soon)
loxxrider

Return to Standalone Engine Management