please educate me on VEMS trigger errors

Discuss VEMS and other standalone ECUs

please educate me on VEMS trigger errors

Postby vwnut8392 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:15 am

please someone educate me on the trigger errors, what causes them and how to diagnose them outside of trigger logger. please dont just post a link to the explanation on the VEMStune web site because thats so vague its not even funny.

i get this already but it answers not a single real question.
No Tr Error: no trigger error detected.
Too many Pr.trig: too many primary triggers detected (secondary trigger can be missing).
Less Pr.trig: less primary trigger detected than it should be.
Too many Sec.trig: too many secondary trigger detected than it should be.
Less many Sec.trig: less secondary trigger detected than it should be.
Sec trig pos bad: secondary trigger detected on bad position according to sectrig validation (to disable it just set minimum to zero and maximum to 360. at Secondary trigger settings).
Tooth length bad: the tooth width seems to be wrong (only if Advanced filter is enabled).

im setup with pretty much what the PNP ECU's are using all the stock AAN sensors on both crank and cam. my car ran totally fine and gradually started messing up. i think i found a trend in the problem finally as well as it does it more when the engine is cold and less when the engine is at operating temperature. so educate me on why these triggers happen and what causes them and how to trouble shoot/diagnose them.
"The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

1984 4000S quattro-AAN swapped
1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1992 GTI G60 X-flow turbo
1986 16V jetta coupe
1985 golf 4 door-AKA the monster golf
vwnut8392

Re: please educate me on VEMS trigger errors

Postby vwnut8392 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:24 pm

34 views and no one???

1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1986 16V jetta coupe
vwnut8392

Postby audifreakjim » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:01 pm

So you are getting all of those errors or just looking for an explanation of the errors?
audifreakjim

Postby mushasho » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:16 am

audifreakjim wrote:So you are getting all of those errors or just looking for an explanation of the errors?

His last response to the problem was this...

"well after all the hair pulling, screaming and swearing the problem is solved. i took my jumper harness apart and decided to pin out the whole thing and document it in a spreadsheet for easier referencing in the future and i realized that i never consolidated the grounds together in the harness and i was missing a ground from pin 17 on the EC18 connector. so i tied all the grounds together and added a wire to pin 17 on EC18. the grounds on the motronic connector i tied together are 10-14-19-30-48. the trigger log is still a little bit wonky at higher RPM but it doesnt complain about errors and it rev's good now. thanks again Marc Swanson for being patient and helping me, also thanks to everyone else who gave input including Klein Heribert who suggested the motronic pin 48 grounding because you was super close to the problem."

He posted on various forums, so I just copy/pasted it here for those seeking a resolution...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vemsusers/
mushasho

Postby vwnut8392 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:24 pm

mushasho wrote:
audifreakjim wrote:So you are getting all of those errors or just looking for an explanation of the errors?

His last response to the problem was this...

"well after all the hair pulling, screaming and swearing the problem is solved. i took my jumper harness apart and decided to pin out the whole thing and document it in a spreadsheet for easier referencing in the future and i realized that i never consolidated the grounds together in the harness and i was missing a ground from pin 17 on the EC18 connector. so i tied all the grounds together and added a wire to pin 17 on EC18. the grounds on the motronic connector i tied together are 10-14-19-30-48. the trigger log is still a little bit wonky at higher RPM but it doesnt complain about errors and it rev's good now. thanks again Marc Swanson for being patient and helping me, also thanks to everyone else who gave input including Klein Heribert who suggested the motronic pin 48 grounding because you was super close to the problem."

He posted on various forums, so I just copy/pasted it here for those seeking a resolution...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vemsusers/

thanks mushasho, i was just getting to posting what i did to resolve the issue. i 've been out playing with my car and scaring the crap out of myself since its finally running right :lol: .

1983 UR coupe quattro
1995 URS6 avant
1992 GTI VR6
1986 16V jetta coupe
vwnut8392

Return to Standalone Engine Management