Thib's 80CD5S & 100 Avant Sport

Document and share your build!

Thib's 80CD5S & 100 Avant Sport

Postby Foscora » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:30 am

Hi everyone !

(Apologies for poor english)

Been reading this forum for a while but now is the time : I'm in. As a beginner and amateur in car mechanics, I learn from my old Audis with the common service but I intend to go further !
Way more a reader than an "activist" who shares utter pro tips from outer space, I'm here to learn (in particular about VEMS solutions).

About the guy behind, Thibaud, 22yo, I live in France, near from Le Mans, deep in a forest hehe

I'm really fond of "customs", not really efficient builds (as long as it runs better than ordinary people's cars hehe), just fun cars. Throughout the years, I learnt with friends on various themes (swap, drivetrains upgrades, rust clearance, , etc) on various bases (Saab 900T16, Citroen BX 4x4, BMW E28 M535i, Golf Mk2 GTI, VW T3, etc).

My main project : build a Typ44Q with correct amount of hp (RS2 conversion or so, around 400whp I assume)
Why this base ? Because I love the sleeper effect of this car, in France this car is really rare, unknown and so underestimated, even stock !
Why this amount of HP ? Because that's far enough for my playground which is composed of winding roads.

About my cars :
Audi 100 2.3E Avant Sport 91'
NF2 Engine - 136hp FWD
Dunno if the Sport Pack (old SLine) existed in the US ? Just to describe it quickly : it has wide wings*, large wheels*, specific interior*, bigger rollbar*, sunroof, bigger brakes, etc (* : same as the 220V)

Unfortunately, here the law is very strict about tuned cars and as I want to keep its value for a 220V (or Typ44Q + 3B), this car is for to be kept stock :hide:
If only this was a Quattro, I should have swapped it with a 20V (and kept the lower ranged gearbox from the 2.3 hehe) ...
When I bought it I didn't thought about this (newbie style), and thought about Quattro conversion ...

So here I am, hunting for a wild Typ44Q (Avant), a 220V would be nice but if it has to be a KG/MC2/1B ... would be fine anyway ;)

To pass the time, I bought something else, which is not going to be kept stock (it has already started hehehe) :
Audi 80 CD5S 83'
WN Engine, 1.9 Carburetor - 115hp FWD
OEM :
Lowered :
Custom coilovers :
Face swap :

The aim for this car is to go MC2/1B (or 7A), to make it sneeze between two gears, around 200hp, which would be far enough. So at this time, according to what I do with the engine, no further "updates" apart maybe for temporary bigger brakes (from Golf II GTI 16v) or maybe a leafblower supercharger :lol:
At the moment I'm in rust clearance, bit of paint, shitty repairs, etc, just to save money for a good opportunity ;)

I'll be sneaking around this forum to learn, that's my aim :thumbsup:

Finally I would like to thank people around, just making my dreams come true with amazing builds and ideas. Great respect to all of you ! :hail:
Last edited by Foscora on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Foscora

Re: Thib's 80CD5S & 100 Avant Sport - Build inc

Postby glibobbo21 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:40 am

Really digging the 80. Thats an interesting color.
glibobbo21

Postby Foscora » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:44 pm

glibobbo21 wrote:Really digging the 80. Thats an interesting color.

Tbh this color (Inari Silber L94A) is like 50% of my decision to buy this car. I love it !
Foscora

Postby Justin517 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:07 am

I want your bumpers! GIVE THEM TO MEE!!!

lol. Sweet rides and welcome!
http://www.ExceleratePerformance.com

2003 540i/6 #1090/1265 imported M5 diff+Sway, Powerflex bushings, BC Racing coils
1991 200 20v Avant MRC Tune + Bilsteins... more to come.
2001 330Ci Convertible -Fiance Mobile
Justin517

Postby Foscora » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:21 pm

Justin517 wrote:lol. Sweet rides and welcome!

Thanks ! ;)

Justin517 wrote:I want your bumpers! GIVE THEM TO MEE!!!

Same reaction here in Europe about bumpers & head/tails lights for most US models ! :we:

The 80 had a few update :
- Paint on "things-I-don't-know-the-name-around-headlights" :lol:

- Unplugged pump for headlights washer (I don't want to remove the paint and furthermore those things are mostly useless I think) and added a part from "Gardena Motorsport™" :lol:

- Rust clearance and a bit of paint on different areas

Now I'm working on the trunk, no holes (a part from the ones made by the previous owner for his trailer)

- Front coilovers are back to business :D
A bit of pics with an international unit of measure : "WD40 & Duct Tape" :lol:

Some family pictures :

- Enter the Ronal Turbo 7x15 !

With ET28 and 50 of eight for the tires, I have a very few space between rear wings : it "touches", so I'll "up" the coilovers. I could bend the wings and/or give the wheels a bit of angle but the aim of this car is to run fast on shitty curvy roads, not to run straight around the block so ...

Next step consists in messing around with the carburetor's box and air flow.
Then I guess I'll try to find a shorter gearbox from the KE engine (2.0 injection).

Between and after, find a decent engine (aim 200hp max), a bit of cosmetics (Audi logo, dead bumpers, etc), exhaust cut out, etc

The 100 is vomiting coolant full of rusty dust :roll: back to pink G12 in a few days :D
Foscora

Postby themagellan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Love love love the ronals, love the 80 too. And the 100, cheers dude.
themagellan

Postby vt10vt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:49 pm

:metoo: Very nice cars, those Ronals looke great on the 80 and, of course, loving the Avant!
-Shawn C.
2002 01E B6 A4 Built FYF, Built 1.8T, HX35 ~330whp
2001 S4 6spd Avant blk/blk, bone stock
1989 MC-1 200 Avant- MS1 MSnS -Gone but will never forget her lessons
1987 5ktq Sedan - Best $500 beater ever
vt10vt

Postby Foscora » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:03 am

:ty:

Foscora wrote:The 100 is vomiting coolant full of rusty dust :roll: back to pink G12 in a few days :D

It went a bit more complicated about this, I suspected a leak and I was fine, just unplugged a hose and ...

Fortunatly a friend gave me this NOS radiator :
From 12/1987, which is older than the car :D
I had though about a VAG radiator but it's not built the same way plus it's copper made. Average temp got lowerered by ~10°C (~20°F)

Here were my concerns about the 80, a bit too close from the wing, it touched several times on my favorite-french-redneck-backroads
So here I come again :
Good point it that the coilover thread don't have time to rust :rofl:
Here was the aim : touch the flat side of the tire with my hand !
Rear :
Front :
And something the Type 44 won't do :D :

Another good news is that I have found a lower ranged gearbox for the 80, it's from a 2.0 KE Coupe GT 5E. Advantage is that the clutch actuation system runs with a cable, same as my current gearbox ! :thumbsup:
Foscora

Postby Foscora » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Few news :

- Still can't find a perfect 220V (and I'm not talking about finding one at a decent price)

Audi 100 :
- Poor news ... Yet I have some work to do on it !

Audi 80 :
- I'm not going to swap it for the moment as the engine runs really great (no oil/water consummed at all) BUT I guess I'll buy a Weber Conversion Kit in order to throw far away the f :guns: ing Pierburg 2E2 ...
About the low range gearbox, not this summer I guess, I wish to drive it instead of let it beeing covered in dust in my garage lol

- I'm working on the brakes at the moment :
Protected my brake lines
and removed the ugliest parts

Threw this far away

For these bigger ones (I had plans about disks but after a mere reflexion, bigger front disks will do)

And this happened (about 2000 miles after replacing) and I really don't know how :o

Found a younger sister (1.6 asthmatic diesel :D )

Random pics with a friend's car (they were both made in 1983, I love the colours) :
Foscora

Postby Foscora » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:45 am

Ok some news !

The 100 is still runing great !
(Pics taken on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean :D )
Here it is with her sisters in a "mainly typ44 meeting"
Outer circle : 220V (3B), 100 Avant 2.3 Sport (NF), 100 2.3 (NF) from Saudi Arabia, 100 2.0 Turbo Diesel, 100 Avant Turbo Quattro Sport (MC2), 100 Quattro Sport (NF2), 100 Sport (NF2), 200 Quattro (MC2) from the US, 100 Avant 2.4 diesel
Inner circle : S6+ Avant, S6+ Avant, Coupe GT, S2(R), 90 (KV)
Messing around on an empty parking lot :D

I still think about selling it but it's a great daily driver, works perfectly and my GF loves it (don't ask me why or how :lol: )
It went through "every-2-years-silly-french-technical-control" (~ like the british MOT) with almost a clean file :
- Front tires almost dead :hide: (changed them)
- Minor crackle on a brake hose
- Trashed muffler (but it's fine to me :lol: ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byeNfpF ... wg&index=2

Can remember the face of the "controller" when I checked underneath the car
- "OMG no sign of any leaks ?!"
- "... and I didn't clean the engine before"
- "Yeah can tell, the engine is starting to rust" :lol:

The 80 is running great aswell !
Got plenty of things to do but I'm currently working on a friends Transporter T3 (Eurovan) so I didn't touch the 80 so that I still use it frequently. 8-)

It went througn "technical control" aswell with "Multiple rust on the structure" and "Engine : Minor leaks" :thumbsup:

I had to deal once more with "previous owners' shitty work" (water in the trunk) and this time its ... BATHTUB JOINT :guns:
A huge mess to remove (I had to use a heat gun)

I found a great "oldschool" Sebring exhaust for ... ~20$ :P

Did my first timing belt "ever" on the 80 8-)
Went at the main french annual olschool Audi meetings with the 80 for the first time in the "far East" :lol: (near Germany), I was a bit worried about a "long distance" with the 80 but it went really fine !

Bought a front bumper there from an old GT (previously I had the blinkers in the fog lights)

And when I was there, I went to Clem's, where the 80 came from, near from Switzerland

So, enough with pictures and "stories", I need advices !

I've been thinking a lot (too much? :D ) about my plans on the 80 (and cars in general), what I want to do, etc As I'll keep the 80 for sure (because I love it), I considered my options :

1 => Keep the good old WN engine (1.9L carb engine 115HP), with 260.000+ km (160.000+ miles). Runs greats, good compressions, etc but I can "feel" it's a bit worn out, I don't really trust it will handle a "special treatment" :D
:thumbsup: Original engine, no extra money to throw
:thumbsdown: Probably needs a rebuild on internals, lot of extra money to throw
:thumbsdown: Engine is pretty rare, "no value" but I would feel bad to trash it

My options are :
- Bigger Carb
:thumbsup: Not much else to do
:thumbsup: Keep the "OEM spirit" of the car "yeah it's 1.9L Carb"
:thumbsdown: Not much gain on horsepower, not at all on consumption
:thumbsdown: That's some "permanent money to throw", I mean I'll never be able to use a bigger/new carb on another Audi (as all the models I like are atleast Kjet)

- EFI
:thumbsup: Because I want to learn how EFI works and NA looks like a good place to start with and because I love harness :rofl:
:thumbsdown: Not the simplest engine to start with, need a new manifold (and apparently NG/AAR/NF won't fit), I think ignition will be a problem too

2 => Swap with a MC2/KG/1B
:thumbsup: Leaving the engine stock means great reliability/power ratio
:thumbsdown: Unless I find URQ's Kjet (which will cost me allot), I'll have to "cut" the car in the engine bay, I really don't want to
:thumbsdown: I don't want to deal with the Kjet anymore and I don't feel confortable to go EFI "for the first time" on a turbo engine
:thumbsdown: Maybe "too much power" on this "mere FWD car"
:thumbsdown: Turbo engines are a bit more expensive

3 => Swap with a NG/AAR/NF/KV and go EFI
:thumbsup: Those engines are wayyy cheaper + I won't feel bad if I break them
:thumbsup: "Good place to start with EFI" with a lot less risks for engine (than on a turbo)
:thumbsup: Most of the EFI stuff (ECU, Rail, Pressure Reg, Sensors for O2, Throttle, Temp, etc) can be reused on another (even turbo) engine later (except injectors I presume)
:thumbsdown: Not much power to gain

If you guys have any advices, etc I'll take them with pleasure as I'm still "in the fog" right now.

I still have to read about :
- VEMS vs MS2 (or else)
- "what to do with OEM ignition ?" Piece of metal (can't recall the name) on the flywheel ? Home made pulley ? etc

So I won't ask for things which may be writen around (and because I'm not 100% briefed on the subject) !

Many thanks guys for making this forum live ! I love to read it !

Cheers,

Thib
Foscora

Postby Foscora » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:08 am

Some news,

The 80 got a bigger carb (Weber 34/34 DAT), after some issues with ignition and Air/Fuel ratio (due to a bad o'ring on the A/F screw), engine now works like a charm, especially when crushing the right pedal :twisted:

Also, I finally found this piece of dirt ! :P

HC gearbox, mounted on CGT with KE engines (2.0 Kjet 130hp). Rare stuff around here, it has shorter gears (for 3, 4 & 5) and it uses a clutch cable (as my oem gearbox, so it's plug & play)

Here are the gear ratios,

VW is the one I currently have, HC is the new one :

VW
1st: 2.85/1
2nd: 1.52/1
3rd: 0.969/1
4th: 0.703/1
5th: 0.537/1
Rear: 3.17/1
Final Drive: 4.90/1

HC
1st: 2.85/1
2nd: 1.52/1
3rd: 1.07
4th: 0.778/1
5th: 0.641/1
Rear: 3.17/1
Final Drive: 4.90/1

At last, I changed my mind for the brakes & axles, will take everything from a CGT KV (will have to change wheels thought), gearbox will be mounted while doing this ;)
Foscora

Postby loxxrider » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:31 am

I love your 80 (especially the color) and the 100 too! Thanks for posting about them. I see you decided on a different carb for the 80. I think that was probably the best choice.

Good luck in your search for a 200 20v. What do you plan to do with that transmission?
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v - Revver/BAT project
'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
E34 530i (maybe rear-mount soon)
loxxrider

Postby Foscora » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:20 pm

loxxrider wrote:I love your 80 (especially the color)

Yeah that's definitely the (main) reason why I bought it ! (Inari Silver, L94A)

loxxrider wrote:and the 100 too! Thanks for posting about them.

The 100 doesn't have its place here as it will certainly remain "stock"*, I just post about it because there are a lot of typ44 fans around here ;)

loxxrider wrote:I see you decided on a different carb for the 80. I think that was probably the best choice.

"Best choice" I don't think so, I still have ITB in mind ... :P
"Easiest choice" of course. The previous carb was just a mess. I had this 34/34 available + in great condition + very cheap price (less than a rebuild kit of the previous one), technically it could fit the engine + I could expect a few more horsepower ...

loxxrider wrote:Good luck in your search for a 200 20v.

Ty, it is momentary on hold for now because I'm investing in the 80 but yeah, still a dream !

loxxrider wrote:What do you plan to do with that transmission?

Sorry if I didn't made myself clear, I plan to replace the current gearbox of the 80 (which is wayyyyyyyyy too long, it's an economic 4+E gearbox) with a shorter gearbox (still 5 speed) from a CGT mk1

Got a spreadsheet (in french + kph, sorry) to compare. VW is the "old one", HC is the "new one"
Foscora

Postby Foscora » Wed May 13, 2015 2:43 pm

I started gathering some old parts from a CGT ...

+ springs & wheels

I change the wheels because I go 4x108 for bigger brakes (OEM CGT size) and I don't want to drill disks ;)
I've also ordered new shocks absorbers, each & every silentblocs in the car, new brake hoses, rear disks, etc

Now I have to clean, sand and paint all this mess (+ recondition calipers + service on the gearbox).

Seems like the car will be ready for June ! Can't wait ! :thumbsup: :drive: :flag: :beer:

EDIT :

Recent pic of the car "because because"
Foscora

Postby Foscora » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:16 am

Slight piece of news :

The 100 got sort of an issue:

Awful temporary fix (exhaust fumes coming from the trunk alongside with fuel tank were awful) :

Then, as I wanted a better sound, I went for a "custom" muffler (it's actually one of two stainless mufflers from a Triumph TR8 which is empty). Sound is awesome right now, it remains "quiet" (which is great on this good old wagon) at low RPM ... but over 3000-4000, it starts to sound very nasty ! I love it ! (I'll make a video)

Then I had to stop my work on the 80 because of this big turbo coal guy :

I had to deal with shitty wiring, decided to cut everything :o and start over

A lot of mess had to be solved with the TDI, starting with this shitty Immotronic, preventing the engine to start :

After lots and lots of tests, I found out "something" was messing with the key signal, wraped up the whole "thing" with lead ... and problem was solved !

Then, back to the 80 :

Finally found a solution for the ugly "cardboard" radiator cover : some "gravel-proof" paint, did the job well !

I fixed 2 of my powerwindows, here was the issue :

A lot of wiring "clearance" has to be done aswell :

Inbetween I removed all the interior to clean it :

Installed oldschool optional door "things" with hole for speakers

Hidden switch for my new power antenna :

Sanding of "new parts" :

Sanding & painting of the new wheels :

Paint & replacement of the the seals in rear calipers (the front will be done soon)

Paint & replacement of each and every silentblocs :

Inbetween I went to the annual french Audi BBQ. It's been 3 years now, still a great experience !

Driving (flat out) in such landscape is really awesome !!
Foscora

Postby loxxrider » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:42 am

Nice work, especially on the muffler :D and very beautiful scenery.
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
loxxrider

Postby Foscora » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:55 am

Ty Chris !

Here's the sound of the exhaust !

Foscora

Re: Thib's 80CD5S & 100 Avant Sport - Time has come for the

Postby Foscora » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Okay I'm gonna throw some more pictures around here !

Time has come for the B2 to get new shoes !

All of the grey-blue stuff with paint-run ( :D ) comes from a '87 Coupe GT. In some cases, it was the same as my 80, but for the rest, it was bigger/stronger.
Exit drum brakes, enter the calipers and the disks !

I got fortunate no brake lines broke while unscrewing them from the hoses. Yet I still have to replace the "brake regulator", got fingers crossed right now.
For a car that sat for a while in the snow, I got pretty lucky.

Got unfortunate with subframe screws, I blew one of the 80 and 4/4 on the donor car. I had to replace them anyway but I sweated a lot while unscrewing the last bit from the chassis ...

All the front end in out, gearbox is really nasty/greasy, the "new" gearbox will be welcomed.

How I left the car this evening :

And picture of the modification the previous owner did to the rear bar to place the shocks absorbers lower :

The rest should come next week ;)
Foscora

Postby Foscora » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:58 pm

Okay front of the car came back :

Replaced the pressure regulator

Goodbye old rusty/leaky master cylinder

Enter the new one, post 1984 pattern. I had to replace the mastervac aswell

Some french Brembo calipers, BRIMBAULT :rofl:

Then, brake bleed, geometry and it came back on the street.

Unfortunately I had sort of an issue with a steering ball joint. I replaced them like a year ago but one seems be loose ...
Anyway, did ~200km today and it did really well (steering a bit blurry near from 0°angle on the wheel), it completely changed it, I have learn how to drive it again now !

Back in the woods, a picture with the new set of wheels !

Foscora

Postby Foscora » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi everyone,

A few updates, I finally mounted the "new" shorter gearbox in November.

Problem is that I couldn't replace my clutch ... because I couldn't find the complete kit (disk & so) at this time :bangshead: . As my clutch seemed fine even though it was 260.000km+, I chose to keep the OEM disk & stuff atleast to see what was going on with the gearbox ...

Things went fine for a bit, until the clutch started to slip, a few weeks later ... :guns:

I started to think about crankshaft seal, gearbox seal, worn out disk, etc Turns out it seems to be my headcover which has started to puke oil all over the gearbox (problem solved ever since).

Did over 5.000 kilometers since the new gearbox & drivetrains, it's such a pleasure ... The car is way more nervous and it just grips grips grips and grips. Can't believe how efficient this car became on narrowy-curvy roads :drive:

And as there wasn't enough pics on this thread, a recent one of "the Greenie" with its mates near from Le Mans Race Track !

Next step consists in messing my carburettor, gotta improve fuel mixture, flow and fuel delivery (electric fuel pump).
Foscora

Postby loxxrider » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Thanks for the update! Never feel guilty about posting too many pictures here. I think we all love them! It's great to have a nice, tight front end. The car looks great with its ancestors and younger brothers.
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
loxxrider

Postby Foscora » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:41 pm

loxxrider wrote:Thanks for the update! Never feel guilty about posting too many pictures here. I think we all love them! It's great to have a nice, tight front end.

Hehe, well, basically I can tell I reached the point where the car was too tight (on front end and even more on the rear), and I don't even talk about comfort or so.

That could've been ok for the front but the rear end had like 1cm of travel tops, in addition to weight ratio for this car (FWD+5 Cyl) the handling ended up awful at every bump when cornering fast, like sudden loss of grip (sometimes hard to recover).

loxxrider wrote:The car looks great with its ancestors and younger brothers.

Thanks ! I love its elder one, that C1 looks awesome !

Foscora

Postby Foscora » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:58 am

I finally found the grail...

Foscora

Postby scubagli » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
scubagli

Postby Foscora » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:59 pm

Here it is, brand new ... from the 1980's !

Obviously I couldn't wait to install it ...

:hide:

:rofl:
Foscora

Next

Return to Projects