eS2 evolution

Document and share your build!

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:47 am

PRY4SNO wrote:Not going to use a fibreglass sleeve on the turbo lines?


Yes... just haven't put it on yet!!
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby Afterthought » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:39 pm

Damn looking good .
I have that Kool Tools thing. Nothing beats the feeling of little stainless wires in the finger .
Afterthought
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Jan 16, 2014
Location: Bellingham, Wa

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby PRY4SNO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Afterthought wrote:Damn looking good .
I have that Kool Tools thing. Nothing beats the feeling of little stainless wires in the finger .


My favourite is under fingernails :lol:
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24vt 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar
User avatar
PRY4SNO
 
Posts: 2410
Joined: Mar 3, 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:48 pm

PRY4SNO wrote:
Afterthought wrote:Damn looking good .
I have that Kool Tools thing. Nothing beats the feeling of little stainless wires in the finger .


My favourite is under fingernails :lol:


Yes - I always donate blood when putting hoses together...
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Working on more hoses, everything except for some coolant lines will stainless PTFE. The only reason I did the coolant lines for the turbo in rubber is I had enough fittings and hose lying around.

-8 supply lines from the duel 1 litre surge tanks with Bosch 044 pumps...

Injector Dynamics fuel filter with the pressure / temp sensor

Image

TurboSmart pressure regulator.
Image

Put silicone fibreglass sleeve over anything near heat. I use silicone taper to seal the ends.
Image

Black fittings for fuel supply lines, red / blue lines for all of the return lines.

Image

Image

I’ll be changing out the blue fitting between the filter and regulator.
Image




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:53 pm

If you didn’t know, you’d think I was drinking when I put this together... regulator and then filter, that way the ECU will see the proper pressure... moving stuff now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:00 am

Need a new T fitting to adjust for revised path for fuel return... hate rework.

Image



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby PRY4SNO » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Two things:

1) why not set the pressure after the filter, to account for any possible delta-p as the filter gets clogged?

2) where do you keep finding these pieces of carbon for mounting brackets (sorry, can't recall if I asked this previously)?
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24vt 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar
User avatar
PRY4SNO
 
Posts: 2410
Joined: Mar 3, 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:10 pm

PRY4SNO wrote:Two things:

1) why not set the pressure after the filter, to account for any possible delta-p as the filter gets clogged?

2) where do you keep finding these pieces of carbon for mounting brackets (sorry, can't recall if I asked this previously)?


That was my original thinking as well, several things changed my mind during my initial planning, which I forgot when I assembled on Saturday...

I have a filter right after the tank before the surge tanks.

The filter has a p indicator as shown below and I purchased the optional pressure and fuel temp sensor (right side of filter). My ECU will be able to notify me if fuel pressure drops and can be reference to total pressure when on boost.

Image

I get my carbon fibre bits from Dragon plate, Rock West Composites or Soller Composites for raw material. I use it for some stuff I make for helicopters and keep every scrap piece... I don’t have a lot of plate left and don’t use it anymore... my wife suggests I have some stuff that I never use, hah!
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby PRY4SNO » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:59 pm

Interesting. Not sure I totally buy it, but I do understand your thinking. That filter pot has some really nice options.

With the CF, it reminds me of an old farmer's maxim. Never let the wife see all of your tractors in one place. Move them around from time to time. Have new ones delivered to the back. And, above all, keep at least one up by the gate with a for sale sign so you can always tell the wife you're trying to sell some!
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24vt 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar
User avatar
PRY4SNO
 
Posts: 2410
Joined: Mar 3, 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 am

PRY4SNO wrote:Interesting. Not sure I totally buy it, but I do understand your thinking. That filter pot has some really nice options.

With the CF, it reminds me of an old farmer's maxim. Never let the wife see all of your tractors in one place. Move them around from time to time. Have new ones delivered to the back. And, above all, keep at least one up by the gate with a for sale sign so you can always tell the wife you're trying to sell some!


I have heard the farmer one, so true.

As mentioned initially I agreed with you... then flip flopped back and forth.

I reached out to the manufacture and they also agree before is best, easier to see pressure drops... good news is that I can change it quickly now!
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby PRY4SNO » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 pm

I'm really just basing my comment off of what I've observed in refineries. I could dig into my modules from trade school for the theory if you want. Or maybe one of them engineer types kicking around here could chime in... ;)

Basic idea being the final point of entry before the fuel rail should be regulated as a steady pressure. The regulator can buffer any fluctuations coming in downstream and send out a stable supply of fuel upstream.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24vt 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar
User avatar
PRY4SNO
 
Posts: 2410
Joined: Mar 3, 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:05 pm

PRY4SNO wrote:I'm really just basing my comment off of what I've observed in refineries. I could dig into my modules from trade school for the theory if you want. Or maybe one of them engineer types kicking around here could chime in... ;)

Basic idea being the final point of entry before the fuel rail should be regulated as a steady pressure. The regulator can buffer any fluctuations coming in downstream and send out a stable supply of fuel upstream.


I totally agree with you! Just was waffling because of looking at the available tech in the ECU, clearly I didn't really think through everything.

As always thanks for the input, it's always welcome!
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby PRY4SNO » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:29 am

Just trying to help, and fully expect the learned folk in the room to correct me!

My way of thinking is that software should act a safety net for hardware, which needs to be aligned in a congruent manner according to specific function. Reason being, back in the day, there was no software... which was implemented as a way to make things both easier and more complex at the same time.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24vt 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar
User avatar
PRY4SNO
 
Posts: 2410
Joined: Mar 3, 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB

eS2 evolution

Postby Afterthought » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:18 am

I might be looking at the picture wrong , but it looks to me like it’s plumbed up funny. Correct me if I am wrong

You should have the fuel supply line coming from the pump going through the fuel rail first then to the regulator back to the tank . Right?

Then the regulator will hold the appropriate backpressure on the fuel rail.

The regulator should have two inlets in case you have dual rail like v6/v8 . So one I let on each side and a return out the bottom .

I don’t have a good pic of it but for example mine is :
Fuel Pump -> filter -> fuel rail -> in to side of regulator -> return to tank
Like this Image
Afterthought
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Jan 16, 2014
Location: Bellingham, Wa

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:11 am

Afterthought wrote:I might be looking at the picture wrong , but it looks to me like it’s plumbed up funny. Correct me if I am wrong

You should have the fuel supply line coming from the pump going through the fuel rail first then to the regulator back to the tank . Right?

Then the regulator will hold the appropriate backpressure on the fuel rail.

The regulator should have two inlets in case you have dual rail like v6/v8 . So one I let on each side and a return out the bottom .

I don’t have a good pic of it but for example mine is :
Fuel Pump -> filter -> fuel rail -> in to side of regulator -> return to tank
Like this Image


...OMG, you are 100% correct of course... I'll leave it at that, thick sometimes. Thanks for that!
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:53 pm

Ok so I’m thick, not completely, but still thick sometimes... went out tonight and dug up the drawing that I did when I was actually thinking about it... thoughts on the check valve placement? Or is it necessary?

Also thoughts on check valve placement if I only have tank pump and 1 surge tank pump running when on pump gas, or will the 044 in the second tank act as a check valve?

Image
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:35 pm

Dropped the engine and tranny in so I can finish mocking everything up, it will have to come out one more time... pleased with the time, took around an hour without an engine hoist.

Image

Image

Image

Down pipe is tight.
Image

Image





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:36 pm

Dropped the engine and tranny in so I can finish mocking everything up, it will have to come out one more time... pleased with the time, took around an hour without an engine hoist.

Image

Image

Image

Down pipe is tight.
Image

Image





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:14 am

Some more plumbing done, Need a couple of fittings. Planning on starting wiring harness mock up next...

Image

Had to move the radiator forward to accommodate the fan.

Image

Image

Image

Replaced all of the plumbing with PTFE hose.
Image

Image

034 Fuel rail, waiting to do the final install of injectors until engine goes in the last time.

Image

Image

Image



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Installed the injectors and then wasted a bunch of time staring at the wiring / organizing thoughts on whether to do car first or engine... I’ll likely do a little of both.

ID2000 so I can run E85 with the bigger turbo as well...

Image

Image

Image

Image
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:56 pm

It’s a good thing I’ve got people helping me via my pictures!!!

Huge thanks to Sayoda, he pointed out the incorrect hookup of the track rod. I thought that’s how they were installed but I just looked at some pictures... f@&$& me.

Any how, fixed, back to work...

Image





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:59 pm

So I got a little sidetracked... went to install starter for running wire... the heat shield was falling apart so pulled it off and was installing the same heat shield I used under the car. I had run out of the DEI cool tape... have some duct tape laying around... aluminum foil tape for duct work.

The adhesive is very good on foil tape but I wasn’t sure how it does with high heat and wondered if the adhesive would catch fire.

Nozzle temp is around 650. Also put the gold reflector on to see how it did.

Left the torch run for around 10 minutes on both tapes. Neither of the foils had issues. Gold managed heat slightly better but the adhesive that didn’t have backing discoloured, the duct adhesive did not...

Image

Image

Image

Starter bundled up

Image




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby jlw » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:20 pm

what kind of heat shied did you use there and underneath?
87 QSW
88 Q sedan
91 20vt Avant
04 s60r
16 Sportwagen - sold
08 Passat wagon tsi 6spd - goner
jlw
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Jan 27, 2016

Re: eS2 evolution

Postby FFF » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:23 pm

jlw wrote:what kind of heat shied did you use there and underneath?


I used the DEI Floor and Tunnel Shields II 050503 - got it through Summit.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
FFF
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Nov 1, 2014

PreviousNext

Return to Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests