Building a Garage

Document and share your build!

Re: Building a Garage

Postby wilke_jb » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:02 am

Yes - 100a should be fine. I ran like 2-0 aluminum underground 100 ft and it runs a 6hp 220v compressor and a 220v 125 welder. Never had an issue - never tripped a breaker. I love my detached garage - you are correct - it needs to be walking distance to the house. I love being able to go out there for 5 minutes and come right back for a sandwich! I like the 3 car idea - wish i would have. Make sure to make it deep too - mine is 26x26 inside. Depth is perfect but i should have gone another 10 wide. Good luck - enjoy!
wilke_jb

Postby grillage » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:18 am

I am somewhat limited by the topography here in that I can only really use the footprint of my current driveway. Also, the north wall of my house (which will face the garage) is completely glass and I can't build right up to it. Because of that, we're leaving a small patio between the house and garage that could also park a car when I have too many :).

Here's the overall plan:

and how cars will live in it...
grillage

Postby speeding-g60 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:19 am

mine has 200A feed. the thing is, its just wire size, and i feel 100A would limit you in the future. its not like you will be running 6 different 220/240V items at the same time, i know i wont ever be.

but just having that extra makes adding on in the future easier.

and i am looking at building my actual shop now and giving the one what came with the property to the wifey for parking. it is full and a little bit crowded now. i actually spent all day Thanksgiving day cleaning it out, take cars out mega sweep up and put stuff away time. was fun. home alone is how i prefer those holidays, and i am thankful for a wife who doesnt drag me along to family stuff :-) :heart:

i got pricing on 30x48 x 12H Versatube structure, with an additional 12x30 open covered overhang on one end. surprisingly enough, this building is pretty cheap around $16k for the building alone. if you want i can paste the specs for you, but it is a DIY type friendly building, like a big kids erector set. and i LOVE to build my own stuff.
speeding-g60

Postby grillage » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:01 am

I would love to build my own big building more than anything. Unfortunately, the wife is insisting (probably very reasonably) that the garage match the house.

I have a great architect that I have built 4 big restaurants with (who is also a car guy) and he did the design for me.

the overall looks like this:

I'll see the cost difference in the 100 amps vs 200. You bring up a good point.

Thanks
grillage

Postby elaw » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:50 am

grillage wrote:No room for a lift unfortunately.

Suggestion: if you possibly can, you should *really* reconsider that!

I don't know how old you are, but when I was 25 I would have said I don't care at all about having a lift... what's the point? Now that I'm twice that age, I'd kill for one. Well, that and a garage to put it in. :wink:

There are SO many good reasons to have a lift. When you're not using it for repairs, it can turn a 1-car parking bay into a 2-car bay. And when you are using it for repairs, it'll save you a ton of time and effort, and turn some jobs from stupid to simple. Checking fluid level in a manual transmission for example... on a lift it's a no-brainer. On the ground, how do you jack the car up but also keep it level? The job becomes stupidly hard. And that's just a simple job... on something complex like suspension mods or an engine/transmission swap, the time saved can be enormous.

And costwise... you're probably going to put $30-40K into this build, right? Another $3K for a lift isn't much compared to that number.

To answer your actual question: my suggestion would be to add up the power drawn by all the things you possibly could be running at the same time, and use that to determine your power feed size. If it's really just a welder (say 20A), some convenience outlets (say 30A total), and a few lights, 100A is probably enough. But if you also might have electric space heating or A/C, a big air compressor, or other heavy loads, 200A would be better.
elaw

Postby NiTeC » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:53 am

yeah the lift is #1 consideration in my future garage project as well - I completely agree...

hey can you post your cost estimates when you get a chance? i`m guessing you`re taking the plans over to a builder so I'd be interested to see what they quote for this
NiTeC

Postby death 4kqt » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:27 am

I built a 24x32 garage with 10' ceilings myself. I have some construction experience and limited tools, but I'm pretty handy. I Borrowed a lot of equipment and worked a lot of nights by spotlight. My garage is a good size for a permanent project car and one more bay for working on daily cars. I never park in it, and it would be too crowded if I did. I styled it after a barn because I live in a log cabin and it just seemed to fit.
My specs are as follows
-Pole barn construction with 2x4 perlins run between poles to create insulation cavities.
-Pre-fabbed 8-12 roof trusses
-metal roof
-tyvek wrapped
-rough sawn pine board and batten siding (because vermont)
-4" reinforced fiber filled concrete pad
-100 amps worth of power service (although I have had a 40 amp breaker in the house feeding it and have NEVER tripped it, even while welding with 220v and the compressor running
-4" of blown in cellulose in the attic (heat with a wood stove only when Im working, never keep it heated, would need a lot more insulation for that)
-3 1/2" fiberglass batts in the walls
-compressed air run in the walls (awesome)
-fluorescent lights, lots of them.

I used one large door so I could fit wide projects in there if need be. Its perfect for me, you might have different goals. I work in my shop nearly every night and I don't know how I lived without it. Its still not technically finished, but is anything?

Random pictures

death 4kqt

Postby grillage » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:52 am

elaw wrote:

I don't know how old you are, but when I was 25 I would have said I don't care at all about having a lift... what's the point? Now that I'm twice that age, I'd kill for one. Well, that and a garage to put it in. :wink:

I'm 40 - and would love the addition of a lift. Doing the manual swap on the cabriolet in the winter and a bunch of work on the V8 cq all in the driveway on jack stands was a pretty convincing argument that I should have one.
The back part of the garage where the 3rd car can go is taller than the rest due to the way things are shaped. I could potentially put one there later on but it will likely take the whole width of the bay. That may be an okay trade off though. I have the ability to do that later - just not sure if I will or not.
grillage

Postby grillage » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:53 am

NiTeC wrote:yeah the lift is #1 consideration in my future garage project as well - I completely agree...

hey can you post your cost estimates when you get a chance? i`m guessing you`re taking the plans over to a builder so I'd be interested to see what they quote for this

I will be interested to see pricing too - I have a GC buddy who will be getting pricing over the winter.
The overall job will include some other stuff too though. My swimming pool will be either fixed with a new deck around it or removed and the driveway will need to be reworked to create a turnaround.
grillage

Postby grillage » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:55 am

Dana, that garage is fantastic. I'd kill for something like that
grillage

Postby death 4kqt » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:05 am

grillage wrote:Dana, that garage is fantastic. I'd kill for something like that

It cost me about $16,000 and many late nights (tools obviously not included)
death 4kqt

Postby OOOOGT » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:36 pm

grillage wrote:
elaw wrote:

I'm 40 - and would love the addition of a lift. Doing the manual swap on the cabriolet in the winter and a bunch of work on the V8 cq all in the driveway on jack stands was a pretty convincing argument that I should have one.
The back part of the garage where the 3rd car can go is taller than the rest due to the way things are shaped. I could potentially put one there later on but it will likely take the whole width of the bay. That may be an okay trade off though. I have the ability to do that later - just not sure if I will or not.

Triumph C-7000 from National Auto Tool. Like a MaxJax on steroids; higher capacity and lift. Still portable so you can move the columns out of the way when you want. Need a 4" slab so make sure that's in the spec if you want to add one in the future.

OOOOGT

Postby grillage » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:37 pm

Wow, that's a really great solution. It could totally work
grillage

Postby cuatrokoop » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:59 pm

I built what is essentially a 3 car garage (one section is work space only) and it is simply not big enough at 20x28, just about 10ft ceiling. Room above the garage is 12ft wide with a 7.5ft ceiling thanks to a 12/12 pitch roof. It is attached to the house, I could not make it deeper than 20ft. Really, a 24x32 would have been idea, I could have had two 9x8 doors instead of the single 18x8. I have barely enough room for the CQ, one Q7 and my work area with shelving and bench.

A stand-alone building should have at least a 100A service, which will give you the ability to drive a good compressor, shop heater, AC and decent welder. Oh, and a lift.

My parents built a decent size barn to compliment their old barn. Old barn is for horses only, new barn is for stuff. New barn is 30x50 and not big enough for everything, but does have room for a lift, which we are planning on doing in the spring. But, it does have a 8/12 pitch roof which provides a huge room upstairs (half hay storage, half normal storage).
cuatrokoop

Postby The German » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:00 am

100 amps total should be fine. Figure out where you would want your welder to go when you get it and put in a dedicated 20 amp, 220v outlet there. A dedicated 15 or 20 amp, 110v outlet is a good idea for your compressor as well. Other than that, I suggest standard 110v outlets spaced every 10' along all the inside walls. They are a lot cheaper to add now than retrofit later, and you will be happy you did :-)
The German

Postby nribs » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:11 am

grillage wrote:Wow, that's a really great solution. It could totally work

Haha, after all those long, cold, lonely nights on your back - one look at Alex's photo and you can convince yourself that setup can be done at the beach, literally. :D
nribs

Postby grillage » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:54 am

Back from the dead again!

I'm finally doing this. the work started this past week and should take about 6-8 weeks

Plans are the same as shown above but I had a hell of a time bidding the project out and then had issues with the first couple banks to get financing. I ended up using GE Credit Union (GE is headquartered in Cincinnati - though you don't need to be an employee to use their bank)

I now have 5 cars with the recent addition of a non-running Maserati Biturbo Spyder
here's the pad before:

Had to put all my tools and such in the basement (along with two Maserati engines) and demo the shed that I've been using for a number of years

Wish me luck!
grillage

Postby PRY4SNO » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:52 pm

I don't envy having to schlep two engines into the basement, but I am jealous of the impeding improvements... keep us posted!

PS

Send some love our way at the Pad too... I'll be building a shop at some point so I'll be sure to look back at your thread as a source of inspiration.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby grillage » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:03 pm

It's Maserati mania down there:

I'll get Marc to port this over there too. I think I started this thread before it existed!
grillage

Postby duffwl » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:52 pm

You guys have some nice setups! I would suggest contacting some Amish builders if there are any near you. I live in northern WV and there was a group that came from near Sugar Creek to build my pole barn. It's a 30x50 with a 12' ceiling. It included a garage door and man door for $12,600. 4 guys had it done in a day and a half!! I am wiring it and I did all the prep work including laying pex down before the 4" floor concrete was poured for another $5500. The concrete work was done by some locals but I regret not having the Amish do it while they were here. I plan to put a loft in the back and get a 4 post lift that will abut the loft to act as a means for loading the loft as well. I have 2 Audis, a truck, a CTS-V, a quad, sub-compact tractor and 7 dirtbikes and motorcycles (yea, yea, too much shit to work on!). The space fills up fast! I'm on 7 rural acres and the shop is about 40 yards from the house. It's a great setup. I can crank the tunes, drink a few brews, and turn the wrenches all night if I want to.
I also have 3 little ones and it's okay for them to come out too. My 3 and 5 year old daughters both get a kick out of handing me wrenches (or losing my sockets). Sometimes I put the 11 month in his walker and he has a blast cruising around while I tinker. So don't let the idea of a family down the road deter you.
It was suggested that I get a 200 amp box. I have a 60 gallon compressor and plan to have a welder and the lift at some point. I think a 100 amp service would be adequate, but you don't pay any more for having a 200 amp service unless you use more electricity barring the small up front difference. Swapping to a larger box would be a PITA later.
Good luck with the build!
duffwl

Postby grillage » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:23 am

Progress this week -

All the footers got poured as well as the foundation walls. The floor should show up this week then framing etc]

grillage

Postby speedydtp247 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:50 pm

duffwl wrote: 4" floor concrete was poured

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I was told you need a minimum of 6" floor for a vehicle lift?

I would love to have a vehicle lift in my garage but its too damn small. I don't plan on living at my house forever, I don't plan on taking down the garage to have a bigger one built. Also my property is too small. Eventually I want to buy a bigger house with a bigger property so I can have a pole barn built so I can have enough room for my vehicles and a vehicle lift.
speedydtp247

Postby speedydtp247 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:56 pm

grillage wrote:Progress this week -

All the footers got poured as well as the foundation walls. The floor should show up this week then framing etc]

Congrats Ben! How big of a garage is being built if you don't mind me asking? I cant voom in on your blue print
speedydtp247

Postby grillage » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:19 pm

1300 square feet in total. Seems like it will be pretty spacious for 3 cars
grillage

Postby varia » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:47 pm

awesome Ben! psot more pictures!
4" floor enough for the lift, 3,000 PSI reinforced concrete
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

project 2226
varia