Mike's 200 20v avant

Document and share your build!

Re: Mike's 200 20v avant

Postby AudiSport4000 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:26 pm

Issues worked on today:
- Odometer doesnt work
- Fuel gauge acts wacky (stays at full most of the time, doesnt seem to work in conjunction of fuel level)
- Trip computer bulbs were missing the red condoms

I opted to make things easier for myself. After pulling the cluster shortly after I got the car and at Carlisle with Frank, I knew pulling the steering wheel would really help, and boy did it ever.
With the cluster out I replaced the bad bulbs and speedo/odometer lump. I also tossed in a different fuel gauge to see if that would fix anything.

I was greeted with a working odometer and what I thought was a fixed fuel gauge. I went to fill the car up so I could calibrate the full level, but after tossing the car around the gauge really moves a lot when cornering. When I got home, shut the car off, and on again, the gauge wouldnt move, autocheck said I was empty, and trip computer said the same.

Since Ive had this car the auto check would give me the low fuel icon after a full fillup. Any idea why?

I pulled the cluster again and put the original gauge back in, but now the gauge does not work and reads E on the trip computer (full tank).

Any idea whats going on here on the cluster side of things? I figure the actual gauge issue is something with the sender, but the gauge should be reading something, along with the miles til empty on the trip computer.

Lastly. Will a 10v 200 cluster work? Pending I switch out the code card on the back and the tach. Is everything else set to function like a 20v cluster? If not I'll likely be looking for a 20v cluster.

Thanks guys
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby AudiSport4000 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Been a minute so I figured I'd post an update.

Been monitoring the fuel gauge. I have a spare sending unit, cluster, and some other stuff enroute. I suspect some of the metal feelers on the sender itself are worn off of wacky. Gauge is now around 1/4 of a tank, which seems accurate and I'm at around 315 miles on a tank.

One thing that has surfaced is a really sloppy feeling shifter. In neutral the side to side motion is what I would say, awful. Compared to the 4kq its night and day. From 3rd or 4th to neutral I can hear a metal 'click' under the boot. Removing the boot and inspecting I'm not entirely sure what *could* be bad under here. I know about the bushing on top of the trans, but I've never had to deal with or replace. Any thoughts here? Replace the top bushing on the trans? Anything else under the boot? Help here is greatly appreciated. Generally I have no issues getting into gear. I noticed in 5th the shifter position looks like its almost in 3rd gear (but its in 5th). If a video helps I could get one and post er up.

Aside from that the car has been pretty solid. It will sleep most of the winter and head into duty only when I need it.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the expertise here!!
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby Aktapod » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:28 am

Good to see an update Mike! I'm actually dealing with shifter slop myself at the moment. Have you tried driving with the shift boot off? That might be more revealing as to what is clicking. There's a little room for a sloppy linkage in the cabin, but my bet would be the trans shifter bushing if it's still original.

If you get under the car, reach up on the driver's side of the trans and grab the gear selection rod that runs toward the front of the trans. It should be pretty fixed on the trans input shaft, but you may find you can shake it and there's a bunch of play. That'd be the bushing if that were the case.

I replaced my bushing with the 034 one about a year and a half ago, and I'm disappointed to find it disintegrated already. I may just get another, but I'm looking into either having one made from a more durable material, or replacing it entirely with a heim joint. I'll post up what I come up with if that ends up being the case for you.
Kevin (Sven)
- 1991 200 20vt
- 1992 Audi V8 (Papa Jürgen's)
Aktapod

Postby AudiSport4000 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:55 pm

Yeah, I had the boot off and was messing with things a bit. There looks like some slop in the bolt that goes across where the rod from the trans meets the shifter, but the bolt is pretty darn tight. Not sure if there is supposed to be something there, like a washer or bushing?

I'll take a gander and see what I can feel. Any BTDT on replacing that bushing? Looks like a pita. I assume the shaft itself is in 2 pieces? That would make it easier at least.
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby AudiSport4000 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:09 am

Got my hand on a few of these little guys. No lift here. How much time am I looking to RR this? Tips would be appreciated. Also, what kind of lube, if any, would be used to seat the bushing on the ball? Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

No other news here. Car wont see much action this winter so I'll be able to work on it a bit more.
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby AudiSport4000 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Small update. Drove the 200 to work after it had snowed, which I told myself I wouldnt do :). Halfway home after work I noticed the coolant gauge was reading almost in the middle, which immediately was an issue in my mind. The gauge rarely works, or reads really low. Not long after that the autocheck coolant warning popped up. I pulled over to check things out. The pinhole in the coolant tank that I had epoxied over in the summer didnt last and I had a small spray coming out and bubbling in the reservoir. I also noticed the cooling fan wasnt working (it was quite cold, maybe 10 degrees outside). Fan should still work with the climate control on though. Got the car home but not without some steam from the tank. After letting it cool I flipped the ignition on and the fan came to life, so thats good.

I've had a slew of parts waiting installation, including a new radiator fan sensor and coolant tank. Guess I'll investigate at why the fan isnt working, finally. Aside from that I did a nice donut in the parking lot. What a hoot with such a large car!

I also had checked the drivers side heated seat relay. That seat heater has never worked since I got the seats from Marcel, even tough he tested them. After swapping of some relays and switches it still doesnt seem to work. I can hear the relay click on, but dont seem to have any heat action. The plugs should all be the same underneath (passenger seat heat works great). Any thoughts here?

Lots of work to do but I love this thing.
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby AudiSport4000 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Super nice here over the 3 day weekend. Opted to spend some time on the 200. Researched via SJM about the cooling fan tests. Both speeds work as they should, so thats good news. I've had a radiator fan sensor since last summer (bought it on a hunch with other parts). I looked from the top and underneath today, but there isnt a whole lot of room. I'll try again with better tools this week.

Between the fan sensor, new coolant tank, and fresh coolant, I should be good, engine wise for a while. Hopefully more updates to come!
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby 88a5tq » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:15 am

I used white lithium grease to do my shifter bushing the 2nd time after it deteriorated with CV grease after 2 years. It's recommended for that material!
Janitor at large
1991 Audi 200 TQ HX35 (finally 56mm)
$500 butt-hurter
1988 Audi 5000 TQ
88a5tq

Postby AudiSport4000 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:57 am

Nice, got both of those. Not sure when ill tackle it as it looks like a huge pain, lol :)
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby Aktapod » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Depends on whether you still have the PROCON-10 bracket on the trans or not. Without it, it'd be a breeze! With it in place, the worst part is finagling the linkage out of there. Took me about 2 hours start to finish when I did it in January, with the majority being trying to get it back under the bracket. You could maybe do it on the car, but I thought it'd be much easier to pull it out of there, replaced the bushing and press it on the ball, then reinstall the rod. I can do a little write-up if you're interested!

Knowing what I do now, I think I could do it under an hour now. It's not too bad, other than the tight space. For the lulz, old vs. new bushing:

photo-13.JPG
photo-13.JPG (514.03 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
Kevin (Sven)
- 1991 200 20vt
- 1992 Audi V8 (Papa Jürgen's)
Aktapod

Postby AudiSport4000 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:09 pm

Been a while, plus Carlisle is over, so its update time.

Got the car back on the road maybe a month and a half ago. I replace the radiator cooling fan sensor, which I made into more of a PITA than it really was. It is in a crummy spot, but if I had to do it again I'd just remove the lower radiator hose and use a large 29mm socket. Got that done, tossed in a new coolant tank, G11, timing cover, and I was good to go. Drove the car around a few weeks prior to Carlisle and everything seemed road worthy enough for the trip.

Car did great on the 15hr round trip. It was quite hot on the drive Thursday, but aside from that, no problems. Only issue was on the way home the wiper motor froze mid wipe. The liberal amount of RainX I had applied months ago saved me. The wiper motor/linkage has made an unsettling noise ever since I got the car and I picked up a spare at Carlisle, so if disaster struck I coulda swapped it out on the road.

Whats next?

- Still fix shifter slop with bushing
- Replace door jamb switches and get interior lighting functional
- Get memory seat function working (yes, I'm a nerd)
- Install Gamma radio
- Fix fuel and water temp gauges
- Front suspension shake down (knock from the drivers lower part of the car upon turning sometimes)
- Fix AC
- Fix cruise (got the rod, just need the bushing, which has been ordered)
- Ignition tune up (plugs, wires, cap, and proper rotor)

Lots to do, but I dont plan on driving the car a whole lot this summer. It was really good to schmooze with some typ44 experts at Carlisle. Got some great insight from Kevin on shifter slop, plus he provided me with some much needed switches (Thank you!!). Spoke with Nick about boost and his cars, sadly I missed a ride in his sedan. So much great stuff this year at the show. It was awesome to see everyone and meet some new folks.
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby AudiSport4000 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:27 am

I didnt notate this in the previous post as I've thought about it a bit. I'll be tossing the wagon up for sale soon. Caught the UrS bug at Carlisle big time and am in the hunt for a UrS6 Avant. I'll get a few things fixed up, but will make an ad shortly. Some of you know the car as its been at Carlisle the past few years. Spread the word! I'd like this thing to go to a good home.
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby ringbearer » Mon May 29, 2017 11:17 am

From a selfish perspective I really want to see you restore an unrusted S6 avant :)
I'll keep an eye out for ya.
ringbearer

Postby AudiSport4000 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:11 pm

ringbearer wrote:From a selfish perspective I really want to see you restore an unrusted S6 avant :)
I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Well, I was approached about a Casa 95.5 in Utah. The want and hope is there, but its so far away. Not shy about shipping stuff back, but I'd like to see if somebody can get an extra set of eyes on it.

Hoping the 200 isnt too difficult to sell :)
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby ringbearer » Tue May 30, 2017 12:13 am

Where's Dave? He would know a good buy without a doubt!
ringbearer

Previous

Return to Projects