Kirk's Lifted Audi CQ: Summer Break

Document and share your build!

Kirk's Lifted Audi CQ: Summer Break

Postby the german » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Time for another somewhat absurd project.

For the past few years I have had a nagging urge to build a lifted Audi. Two options stood out as appealing to me: a B3 with a 7A, or a B5 Avant with a manual transmission. I also didn't want to ruin a nice B3, so if I ended up with one of those it would have to be cosmetically challenged. I have been watching for about a year and a half but never seemed to find quite the right thing or have too many other projects going when I do find one.

Finally last week the stars aligned when a 1990 CQ popped up on the Motorgeek classifieds for $500. The car was located in the Bay Area, had been partially disassembled, robbed of some parts, and parked outside since 2006. The body doesn't have a straight panel on it and a combination of UV exposure and spots of moss have given the pearlescent paint a "unique" leopard print effect. On the bright side, it was a California which means little to no rust and it was mechanically pretty much all there and unmolested.

In other words: Perfect

I emailed the seller on Wednesday, and after talking a few times over the phone, getting some recent pictures, and settling on a price, I decided to go for it. I borrowed a truck and trailer from a Friend, convinced a different friend to go with me, and made plans to drive from Seattle to Palo Alto and back in a weekend. Somehow this seemed like a good idea.

Here are some of the pictures I got of the car before leaving:

We rolled in to the lot where the car had spent the last 10 years sitting and were pleasantly surprised that the PO (Robert) had spent the day washing it, cleaning it out, vacuuming water out of the carpets, and letting it dry out. Robert had also tried to bleed the clutch for us before we got there so the car could be driven onto the trailer, but couldnt get any fluid to come out with his vacuum bleader and the pedal was on the floor. Probably not the worst thing in the world since the timing belt is at least 10 years old. Ended up using his A4 avant and a tow strap to pull it up onto the trailer.

After 37 hours of driving I got home at 2 PM on Sunday with the car and immediately started tearing into it. I unlodaded al the loose interior parts, got it up on jack stands, and discovered the passenger floor had about 1/2" of water in it. Apparently there is a leak on that side LOL. I got that drying out with a shop vac and space heater, then started troubleshooting the cluch. I figured it had to be either a bad master or slave cylinder.

I was right. Here is what the master looked like:

Image[/url]

Cleaned that all up, bled the clutch, and everything feels like it should! (short of actually driving it and testing it).

With that done I got all the AC stuff ripped out of the car. Don't need to be lugging that dead weight around with me.

I am also finding that there is going to be more fixing of electrical crap than I had anticipated with this. Amazing how things degrade from sitting and not being used. Many of the switches are going to need to be taken appart and have the contacts cleaned as they are inoperative.

I also sat down and made a list of work items yet to be completed. It a pretty long one, and I know it's nowhere near complete.

Last edited by the german on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:52 am, edited 28 times in total.
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
2011 A4 2.0T Avant (ok, it's my wife's car but it's sexy and I love it)
the german

Re: Kirk's Lifted CQ Project

Postby PRY4SNO » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:24 pm

When I had two coupes (one with bad paint and a bit rusty, and a dented fender) I was thinking much along the same lines... one for camping/rally/winter and one for summer. I've since sold that one but always thought it would be an awesome juxtaposition of how awesome these cars are.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Wifey mobile
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby alxdgr8 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:21 pm

I want the ac stuff! I'll trade some B4 headlights (I think I still have a set laying around)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
-Alex- @vexartmedia on Instagram
1992 Porsche 968 (07K transplant in progress)
1983 Aud UrQ (20vt swap in progress)
1995 Audi 90QS (Previously 32v V8, now AEB 1.8T)
1986 Audi Coupe GT (7A swap and more)
2010 VW Touareg TDI (DD, tow rig)
2001 Ducati ST4
alxdgr8

Postby the german » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:58 pm

Ah crap!! I just junked it all on Wednesday, sorry :-( I do need headlights though...
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Postby the german » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:29 am

Got some more work done on the car last night:
-Oil Change
-New Plugs
-New Cap & Rotor
-New Air filter
-Installed cruise control (!!!! :) :) ) - I lucked out and found the missing bits in my stash of CQ parts

-Installed the stock muffler from my red CQ! The one that came on this thing was a pretty terrible straight pipe

Also did some sketching of what it will look like after I make the brush-guard, add lights, rack, and skid plates. I like it 8-)

Last edited by the german on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Postby the german » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:40 am

PRY4SNO wrote:When I had two coupes (one with bad paint and a bit rusty, and a dented fender) I was thinking much along the same lines... one for camping/rally/winter and one for summer. I've since sold that one but always thought it would be an awesome juxtaposition of how awesome these cars are.

Pretty much exactly what I'm thinking!
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Postby UrSobsessed » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:58 pm

Subscribed. I am so looking forward to this...
UrSobsessed

Postby IslandRinger » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:07 am

UrSobsessed wrote:Subscribed. I am so looking forward to this...

Ditto. Very neat project!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
IslandRinger

Postby the german » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:42 am

Got some more work done on the car this week.

Getting the mechanicals sorted out was high on the priority list.
-Water pump
-Timing belt
-V-belts
-Coolant flush

Found this gem connecting the hoses to the heater core. Replaced it with a plastic cooling union.

With that, got the car started up and it actually runs very well! Warms up to thermostatic temp, cooling fan comes on as it should, idles smooth. I didn't expect it to be that easy. WOOHOO!!
Last edited by the german on Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Postby the german » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:54 am

Started trouble shooting electrical issues and getting the interior put together.
- Unfroze seat motors
- Disassembled column switches, cleaned contacts, reassembled

- Troubleshooting inop. wipers; looks to be a bad wiper motor.

Took a trip to the local Pick-n-pull this morning to pull some much needed parts from a Cabriolet only to discover they had already crushed it. Crap. Need to find a driver window regulator, bumper bolts, window switches, mirror switch, and a rear bumper somewhere.
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Postby the german » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:10 am

Spent the afternoon machining parts for the lift. In researching different approaches the obvious place to look is at Subaru which has loads of commercially available options. Most are a combination of subframe spacers and strut mount spacers. This is similar to what I plan to do, but there are a number of things they do which I plan to improve on.

Here is the typical Subaru lift approach to subframe spacers: A chunk of heavy wall rectangular steel tube with two holes drilled in it.

I instead plan to build a real subframe to space out the subframe. The parts I machined today are the standoffs which will be part of the spacer subframes. These are all made from 4130 chromoly steel.

Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Postby frostyflax17 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:02 pm

damn kirk how high you planning on lifting it? lol

I need to update my thread on here, i lifted using tall coilover springs about 1-1.5" over stock ride height, I maxed out the tie rod ends and the alignment wasn't too far off with lifting it only that much. I actually had subframe spacers made as well out of solid aluminum. about 1" in height, I'll take a picture later of them, they're sitting around till i get the actual alignment done to see if i need them or not.

Funny you drew that picture up for the brush guard... looks similar to what my idea is, though i wasn't planning on a rear piece... though i like the idea of it now, but i'm not sure how i'd have it mounted. I'll update my thread for pics. Lifted coupes ftw.

I won't crowd your thread with my pics so here's my build.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=101&start=150
Cory
11 Touareg TDI - Daily
91 CQ - Lifted Rallyx Mudder
90 CQ - 3.0T Rombotis
90 CQ - Wannabe S2
91 200 3b - restore and sell
86 Yamaha Fazer - Cafe Conversion
frostyflax17

Postby the german » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:57 am

hey Cory! Thanks for the link- I've been enjoying watching your thread as well. your car is a LOT nicer than this one will ever be so I gotta make up for it by going BIG :)

I'm thinking 4-5" lift. The spacers I made are 3.75" then I'm going to be cutting and extending the strut tubes which will make up the difference to what i am looking for. I have a tire choice in mind for what I would like to fit but I need to do some more measuring and see if it will be feasible. More on that to come.

It had been a while since I looked at your thread and I just saw the pics you put of with the brush guard. I think that's going to give it a pretty bad ass look. Planning on some mud flaps similar to what you made as well. I think I'm going to steal your idea for the quattro script on them too since you decided it was too flash for your rig ;)
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Postby frostyflax17 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:43 am

Copy anything you like, great minds think alike. Lifted rally style coupes are one of my favorite looks.

I wish i could put bigger tires on there (like a small truck offroad tire), but there just wasn't enough room inside the fender wells without cutting them up. Those 225/50/17 tires i had on there before would rub when in a compressed turn. I had 225/55/17 tires at one point and i couldn't get close to lock without rubbing, and the tire was perfectly centered in the fender.

I was thinking about trying to jack it up another inch as well though, but i'm wondering how much droop you need compared to the ride height. Right now i only have a little over 2" of droop from the ride height, so that doesn't help with ride quality.

My car at some point was t-boned and the rocker has a bunch of kitty filler in it, that's the only reason i rallyx and modify it so much.

What are you using for the top mounts for your struts? I bought the offset solid ones so that i could correct any geometry issues that may arise, plus they should hold up better than anything with rubber in it.
Cory
11 Touareg TDI - Daily
90 CQ - 3.0T Rombotis
90 CQ - Wannabe S2
frostyflax17

Postby the german » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:12 am

I didn't realize your's had been hit; takes the guilt out of it lol

So the biggest tire you have had is a 225/55/17? When they rubbed in the front or rear end of the fender well? or both? I don't have a problem with hacking fender wells, the problem I see is that the rear side of the fender well is the passenger compartment.
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Postby the german » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:13 am

BTW- going with stock rubber top mounts for now. If they don't hold up I might throw some solid ones in but I'm really trying to keep the ride reasonable.
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Postby frostyflax17 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:45 am

It was both the front and rear fender wells that were getting scrubbed. You'd have to remove the dash and "reform" the fender wells to the size you want if you wanted to go bigger :(

Yeah I'm fairly guilt free with this one, its still pretty nice but that's only because of all the stuff I've bolted to it lol.

I have another black Cq that hit a bear and other than the damage it sustained its super clean, so I'll "ersatz s2" that one.
Cory
11 Touareg TDI - Daily
90 CQ - 3.0T Rombotis
90 CQ - Wannabe S2
frostyflax17

Postby k2exoman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:41 pm

A similar idea crossed my mind reading the 1.9TDI in a 90 thread after I'd seen a rally golf.
This project is awesome. :-)
1995.5 - UrS6A: RS2'd, 7A'd, FMIC'd, BBK, Exhausted, Koni'd
1991 - 200 20v: Eiche Stage 1 chip, Exhausted, Koni'd
k2exoman

Postby Alex » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:09 pm

Very cool project. Need to do some suspension work on my 90 and want to lift it more so looking forward to see what you do.

I have the the stock rear bumper from my coupe you are welcome to as I have no plans for it. It is worn out pearl but not cracked. Send me a pm if interested.
1990 cq
1990 90q 20v
http://www.lodesol.com
Alex

Postby the german » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:22 pm

Awesome, thanks Alex! I'll pm you now
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Postby the german » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:33 am

A bit more progress:

Welded up all of the subframe spacers. These are all 3.75" tall.

This morning I started on extending the strut housings. In the process of disassembling the springs from one of the housings, the top pearch got caught and didn't fully release.... until I reached in to take it out of the press when it suddenly did. The result was my hand getting pinched between my press and the strut housing and an unplanned trip to urgent care. 5 stitches later...

I wasn't going to let this ruin my day. After I was all stitched up I went over to my buddie's shop and machined all the strut housing spacers.

Cut a front and rear strut housing in half to measure.

Then machined the extensions. These are made from 2.5" OD x .25" wall 4130 Chromoly tube. I made these 7" long with a 1" counter bore on each end which tightly slips over the strut housing for a 5" overall extension.

Got two of them welded up, two more to do tomorrow. My TIG welding is not what it used to be. :shame:

Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Postby frostyflax17 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:36 am

what are you going to do for steering arms? what about the cv angles? I'm so loving this build though. I'm going to be super jealous when you get it lifted that much.
Cory
11 Touareg TDI - Daily
90 CQ - 3.0T Rombotis
90 CQ - Wannabe S2
frostyflax17

Postby the german » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:48 pm

Good questions!

Not doing anything different with the steering arms; I intentionally extended the strut housing in such a way that it keeps all of the geometry between the rack, tie rods, and struts identical to stock.

The Situation for CV angles is different front to back. In the rear I'm spacing the subframe with the differential down 3.75" and extending the strut by 5", so there is only a 1.25" difference in CV angle from stock. Pretty much the same as if I were to lover it on some sport springs, so I'm not worried about it.

The front is a different matter all together. I have a trickier problem there since to motor is mounted to the chassis, but the trans is mounted to the subframe which is getting dropped (again by 3.75"). If I kept the motor and trans position fixed in the stock location the CV's would see a full 5" difference from stock. Subaru guys start seeing outboard boots tearing at 2"-2.5" of lift, and I don't think the joints themselves would last long at 5" lift angles. My current plan is to drop the motor and trans down by 2"-2.5" to get the front CV angles back to something more rational. I may end up actually tilting the motor & trans assembly. Need to play with it and see what works.
Last edited by the german on Fri May 06, 2016 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Postby DE80q » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:21 pm

As much as I like the idea of a truly lifted CQ, using stilts on the subframe is scary to me. The spacers that I have made for a couple people(I my have made the ones Cory mentioned) were made to be self centering in the subframe itself. They were basically a tall aluminum subframe bushing.

I'll be watching to see how this turns out.
"If you cant find one, make one!"

91 Audi 80q -10vt project
07 Mitsubishi Raider (Dakota in disguise)
DE80q

Postby the german » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:31 pm

Ditto- that's why I'm not planning on using straight spacers. I think at 1" you won't have any issues, but at 2"+ it's not a great idea.
Kirk

1990 ABZ CQ
1990 lifted CQ
2005 S4 6MT
the german

Next

Return to Projects