Kevin's V8 Quattro 5-speed

Document and share your build!

Re: Kevin's V8 Quattro

Postby pilihp2 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:29 pm

unf god i love V8's, and I really love that v8.
and hell yes to 5 speed swaps.

Radical dude. so much epic.
-Phil
87 5ktq - 20vt
05 S4 - "Daily"
16 KTM 690 Duke - just because

-Terrible at responding to PM's
pilihp2

Postby Aktapod » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:42 am

cuatrokoop wrote:http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25073&hilit=5spd

There's the topic on it. Can't believe that was 7 years ago! Jump to page 4, unless you want to read some interesting commentary on life in your late 20's.

The shafts had balance weights on each section, and that car never ever had a driveline vibration when I owned it (and I don't think Garrett had any issues either, after he bought it from me).

:ty: There's a goldmine of info in that thread. i remember stumbling across it awhile ago, but I forgot to bookmark it. Read through the whole thing to help prepare for my 20's :)

pilihp2 wrote:unf god i love V8's, and I really love that v8.
and hell yes to 5 speed swaps.

Radical dude. so much epic.

I'm so excited by this swap, I somehow justified financing it entirely on a car I don't technically own, but it's becoming mine more and more. I'm considering just making an offer to my dad to make it official.

In any case, IT'S TIME! I went out one last time to do some epic 6000 RPM neutral-bomb launch vids, which turned out utterly disappointing. It seems Audi anticipated my shenanigans and has it cut power until RPM's drop to ~1500 before engaging a drive gear. Curse you and your failsafes!

Anyways, I pulled the interior today in anticipation of welding in there, but that's as far as I got. More work to come this weekend!

Here's where I stand on parts. I'm pulling parts from a donor 200 tomorrow, and hopefully should get everything in yellow! :drive:

edit: got almost everything! Just need trans arms, but a very generous forum member has got me covered (thanks

Stand-alone parts needed
016 Transmission w/ 4.11 Final Drive
10-bolt Flywheel
200 Pressure Plate
200 Clutch Disc
016 Pilot Bearing
016 Throwout bearing

x10 Longer flywheel/crank bolts (En route)

Parts Car
200 Transmission Tunnel
200 20v front axles
T44 Clutch/brake pedal asy

T44 Clutch master (Pending - Thanks Dave!)
T44 Clutch slave (Pending)

016 Shift linkage
200 20v Driveshaft (rear)

Transmission arms (Pending - Thanks Armin!)
Kevin (Sven)
- 1991 200 20vt
- 1992 Audi V8 (Papa Jürgen's)
Aktapod

Postby loxxrider » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:54 am

lol epic fail on the launch. That would have been awesome though. I know for a fact that lincoln MKVIIIs did not have that safety feature in the early 2000s lol.
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v - Revver/BAT project
'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
E34 530i (maybe rear-mount soon)
loxxrider

Postby Aktapod » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:30 pm

Hahaha don't you worry, there will be many a launch soon, and no computer is gonna tell me otherwise! I bet good times were had with that Lincoln

I didn't get as much done as I'd wanted (ruuuuuusssst), but I should have the old box out next weekend if I have time to work on it. Only thing is I canNOT get the driveshaft off. Bolts are off, everything's PB-Blasted, and I've pried and hammered to no avail. I have a few ideas, though that I'd like to try out - with varying degrees of sketchiness.
Kevin (Sven)
- 1991 200 20vt
Aktapod

Postby Berserker » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:41 pm

When I did the clutch on my S6 last summer, no amount of hammering would get the driveshaft off the transmission. So, I disconnected it at the rear diff, too, and I was able to break it free there. I then pulled the transmission with the driveshaft attached and hammered the crap out of it on the ground until the driveshaft popped free. 8 extra bolts (6 at rear diff flange, and two at driveshaft support bearing.
Berserker

Postby Aktapod » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:04 am

Oh haha I've been trying it with all the bolts off in the first place. I can't get either end loose. I have two ideas to try out, but it looks like I won't be able to work on it this weekend. School :(
Kevin (Sven)
- 1991 200 20vt
Aktapod

Postby Berserker » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:21 am

Drop the center support bearing and apply downward pressure on the on the driveshaft while bashing on the CV? It might be time for Mr. Torch to help out, too. Good luck!
Berserker

Postby Aktapod » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks for the tips man! I actually had my brother pry while I hammered, but it wouldn't budge. We stopped because the pry bar was starting to deform the body where it was levered at. I'll break out the torch if I have to, but only after I've exhausted all options. I'd hate to damage the CV boot or joint.

When I get a chance, I'd like to try putting the trans in neutral and having a bunch of friends pull on strap wrenches around the driveshaft. Hopefully that'll be enough to break the bond with the diff. Then I can just do the other side!

The sketchier variant of this would be car in the air, hit the brakes and put it in drive with the car running. Last resort, I can take a sawzall to it. I only need half the driveshaft for the swap.
Kevin (Sven)
- 1991 200 20vt
Aktapod

Postby Aktapod » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:40 pm

Got it! Doing so may or may not have involved physically mutilating the trans, but it's just a silly auto, so it's okay. :)

I cut a little window in the trans cup and FINALLY I could hammer a flathead in the seam and split them up, at the expense of the screwdriver (RIP).

Seeing how clean it was, I'd surmise this is the first time the driveshaft has been off since Germany. Of course, this wasn't the only hangup in tearing the old box out of there, but it was the first step in realizing why the hell am I being delicate with this thing? From then on, I simply tossed any obsolete parts into a big garbage bag, and not-so eloquently mutilated anything I didn't need anymore. Gear selector won't pop off? Snip snip snip. Cooler lines in the way? I'll just bend that a bit.

Finally, at around 5 a.m. ( :hide: ) and we got that beast out of there!! Big thanks to the fine folks of DriveUT who came to help out and make light of my frustrations. Couldn't have done it alone (seriously, that trans is MASSIVE).

So, finally, after weeks of doing nothing, I have an empty hole in the V8. Of course, throughout the journey, I happened across a million things I want to fix while I'm in there, but it has the potential to get very very expensive, so I need to prioritize. One thing is a given, though:

Subframe bushings!
I wanted to do the rear main seal, too, but it looks like it's $350 :boom: so I'm just gonna cross my fingers and hope that it never ever leaks.

Unfortunately, I do need to face the fact that the steering rack appears to be leaking. The steering has always been rather heavy on this car, so I'm guessing the thing is due for a rebuild (huge surprise, lol). I called Jorgen Auto today for a quote, and it's $300 for a rebuild! Ouch! The car doesn't lose any appreciable fluid, but I know I am going to hate myself if it worsens and I don't get it while it's accessible. I'm leaning towards doing it...

But that takes away from other stuff I wanted to do, like
- Control arms
- Sway bar bushings
- Oil pan gaskets
- Trans mounts
- T-belt service that needs to be done soon

So that leads me to this thought: there's an OEM V8 flywheel for sale now for a good bit cheaper than the Fidanza was. I'm thinking of picking that up and selling the Fidanza to offset some of the cost of the swap. Any thoughts? I've never driven an aluminum flywheel, but I have to wonder whether the price difference is really worth the weight savings, particularly when this is certainly no racecar.
Kevin (Sven)
- 1991 200 20vt
Aktapod

Postby themagellan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Wow! Nice work. Good idea to cut through all the junk.

For the flywheel - I have drove both types on a 16vgti (~50% of your motor haha) - the lightweight one is nice and feels different in it's eagerness once engaged - The oem one made it much smoother and easy to drive in stop and go. If you are going to sit in a McDonalds or Wendy's parking lot revving your motor then definitely it's a must have!

Seriously though - I think it could be fun on a v8 to lighten things up - I would personally go with the oem one for cost and durability but if you already have the fancy one just use it. Swapping around parts will just be a hassle haha! I would do that seal regardless of price - but I have no idea why it's so expensive? rockauto.com has nothing?

Funny how big of a crew you have - your garage is really clean. If your friends aren't around and you have space a transmission jack is a cool piece to have: http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... jacks.html - better yet a floor jack with a huge square of wood does the same to get it back in.

Hope to see it go in quick I would be in the camp of getting it moving and working with the manual swap before the other items. All of the others seem like something you could do over a weekend(s) while still enjoying it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I will be watching either way!
themagellan

Postby 90quattrocoupe » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Aktapod wrote:Image

Why is no one dirty?

Greg W.
90quattrocoupe

Postby Aktapod » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:50 am

90quattrocoupe wrote:Why is no one dirty?

Haha, this was when my dad was still awake to take the shot, so we were only 30 minutes into it. By the time we finished up, I think we were all too delirious to assemble for any sort of photo.

themagellan wrote:Wow! Nice work. Good idea to cut through all the junk.

For the flywheel - I have drove both types on a 16vgti (~50% of your motor haha) - the lightweight one is nice and feels different in it's eagerness once engaged - The oem one made it much smoother and easy to drive in stop and go. If you are going to sit in a McDonalds or Wendy's parking lot revving your motor then definitely it's a must have!

Seriously though - I think it could be fun on a v8 to lighten things up - I would personally go with the oem one for cost and durability but if you already have the fancy one just use it. Swapping around parts will just be a hassle haha! I would do that seal regardless of price - but I have no idea why it's so expensive? rockauto.com has nothing?

Funny how big of a crew you have - your garage is really clean. If your friends aren't around and you have space a transmission jack is a cool piece to have: http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... jacks.html - better yet a floor jack with a huge square of wood does the same to get it back in.

Hope to see it go in quick I would be in the camp of getting it moving and working with the manual swap before the other items. All of the others seem like something you could do over a weekend(s) while still enjoying it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I will be watching either way!

Thanks Mage! I actually borrowed my friend's wide-based motorcycle jack for the task. I've dropped the manual trans with just my floor jack and some hands steadying it, but this auto is freaking HUGE! We stuck the big jack up front and my floor jack on the tail end and use the combo to tilt and drop the trans out of there. It took three of us just to get it out of the garage!

Given your impressions, I might be inclined to agree about the flywheel. It's pretty light at around 9lbs, but the good news is that it'll be coupled to a stock 200 clutch, so it shouldn't be too undriveable or annoying (I hope). I think OEM is just over 18lbs.

Yeah, unfortunately, the seal is an integrated rubber seal and a metal plate. I can't even find a PN# for the rubber ring in the middle. I don't know where I saw the $350 figure, because most numbers I'm seeing are actually $400+... I just can't find a way to justify that for a part that still works.

You are right, though. A lot of that can be done after the fact. I'll take a closer look at what really needs done while I work on it, but I'll just focus on the swap for the time being. Thanks, dude!
Last edited by Aktapod on Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin (Sven)
- 1991 200 20vt
Aktapod

Postby loxxrider » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:43 pm

Glad to see this coming along
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
loxxrider

Postby Aktapod » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:33 pm

Things are happening!

Progress is slow, but it's progress! I will update soon with more details and pictures of the process. I'd like to spray the welds with primer and route the clutch hydraulics tonight, but otherwise it is very close to the point of reassembly! :drive:
Kevin (Sven)
- 1991 200 20vt
Aktapod

Postby pilihp2 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:24 pm

heck yes!

Love me some manual V8
-Phil
87 5ktq - 20vt
05 S4 - "Daily"
16 KTM 690 Duke - just because

-Terrible at responding to PM's
pilihp2

Postby loxxrider » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:36 pm

Hard stuff is out of the way now!
-Chris

'91 Audi 200 20v Avant
'01 Anthracite M5
'90 M3
'85 Euro 635csi
'12 X3
loxxrider

Postby Aktapod » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:57 pm

Happy holidays, friends!

I'm glad to finally be done with all those things. The past couple of weeks have been a little hectic working most of the time and getting in some progress whenever possible before passing out. I'm out of town for now, but hopefully it should be up and running shortly after the New Year!
pilihp2 wrote:Love me some manual V8

I'm super stoked to finish this! I've never even ridden in one, so I have no idea what to expect. I did take a "before" vid, so any differences will now be documeneted :)
Kevin (Sven)
- 1991 200 20vt
Aktapod

Postby Grillage » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:57 pm

I love to watch people go all in like this. I'm excited to see this at Carlisle in the spring!
CURRENT
1995 90 Quattro
1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
2011 A4 Avant

PAST
1993 Audi 90 CS Quattro - 1990 CQ - V8 - 1995.5 Audi S6 - 1993 Audi V8 - 2013 A5 Prestige
Grillage

Postby dspl1236 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:27 am

woo v8q 5-speed conversions! I miss my converted car, that was fun.
dspl1236

Postby ringbearer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:47 am

Looking good so far!
Definitely have Jorgens do the rack, flush it with redline psf and install a magnefine filter.
Try and find the rear main seal by itself without the flange. It was the same situation with my aan but somewhere in the QW archives the seal only part number was listed, it saved me some money.
ringbearer

Postby Aktapod » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:48 pm

Good info, Dan! I actually posted up on QW and got a PN for the just the rubber seal (068 198 171), which seems to be dimensionally identical to the 5 cylinders. Is there any special tool or procedure for it? I remember the front was a huge pain without the special tools.

As for the rack, I think I've decided to not do it. I hate leaving it, but the leak is so minor, and doing so would require more downtime once I get back from Wisconsin. If by some miracle Jorgens has a core on hand when I call, I'll order it and get it over with.

dspl1236 wrote:woo v8q 5-speed conversions! I miss my converted car, that was fun.

I love that this is the only impression I've read from manual V8's! Do you know if yours had the throttle closing damper? I've read that only the factory 5-speeds got them. I'm wondering if I can fit one from a 5 cylinder to make it a little more driver-friendly
Kevin (Sven)
- 1991 200 20vt
Aktapod

Postby Grillage » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:11 am

Jorgens works super fast - I think they had my coupe rack back to me in a couple days
CURRENT
1995 90 Quattro
1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
2011 A4 Avant

PAST
1993 Audi 90 CS Quattro - 1990 CQ - V8 - 1995.5 Audi S6 - 1993 Audi V8 - 2013 A5 Prestige
Grillage

Postby ringbearer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:58 am

I just used a big block of wood and smacked it right in there, with the flange removed of course. You may want two if it doesn't work out right. I always try and have spare seals just for that reason. Jorgens is 2 or 3 day turn around, that's not a good enough excuse not to do it! Get the powerflex rack to steering rod bushes as well if you have time and money.
ringbearer

Postby PRY4SNO » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:20 pm

:metoo:
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby themagellan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:00 pm

luke........ it's ok....