Mike's 4ktq project

Document and share your build!

Re: Mike's 4ktq project

Postby AudiSport4000 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:20 pm

Thanks guys. I sold the B3 with a MINT Gamma radio. Sad I didnt keep it as it was another crazy ebay find (radio was unlocked, didnt need a code, and new).

This car is the plan for Carlisle this year. After a fresh service in the spring I plan on hauling it out there. I doubt I'll get any of the suspension work done by then, though.

Period correct stuff is what I like. Staying 10vt is so tempting!!!
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby dana » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:59 am

i hate to be blunt, but fuck the 10vt. Not worth the effort of installing one when a 20vt is very marginally more at this point. You could get an urq with a 3b in europe. It can be made very period correct.
current:
-mk4 tdi wagon with some mods
-TDI b3 90q, holset turbo, be strong little connecting rods!
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-20vt swapped 90q winter beater
-efi 10vt 4kq
-way too many other long gone urs's, 200's 4000's, b5's
dana

Postby PRY4SNO » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:21 am

dana wrote:i hate to be blunt, but fuck the 10vt.

:metoo:
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Wifey mobile
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby AudiSport4000 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:02 am

I prefer when you guys are honest and blunt :)

I go back and forth with it (thats what SHE said). Ugh, I dunno. We'll see how I like owning one. Good chance I'll be selling the A4 here soon for a nice 200 20v avant. That may sway my opinion :)
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby AudiSport4000 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:24 pm

I couldnt resist adding some V8 tails to this thing. Will sold me a set that is decently nice, so I spent some time this weekend to toss them in.

Spent time on Friday night getting old the old sealing goop out.

These were cut in the middle obviously, so I'll have to get creative with the license plate. Only thing I gotta fix now are the reverse lights as they have not worked for a while. Wiring at the trunk hinge is good, thankfully.

1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby AudiSport4000 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:39 pm

Sheesh, I guess none of my photos work anymore :(

Small update, but nothing too interesting. The original coolant tank was a bit suspect looking in one area ever since I owned the car. I noticed it weeping a bit last week, so it was time to replace. On a whim for the 200 I had Will bring a spare typ44 tank to Carlisle. I used this one as a replacement and will use the new one for the 200. I drained everything using the radiator fan sensor. I must have buggered up the small gasket because once everything was back together and I was bleeding the system I had a small leak there. Again, luckily I had bought all sorts of stuff for a timing belt service, so out came the coolant again and in went a new sensor and gasket. All better.

1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby chaloux » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:56 am

What is that coolant? Looks like mud lol
Matt

01 Allroad 6speed - RS4 clutch, catless downpipes, stuklr tune
04 Jetta TDI - DC stage I clutch/14lb fw
DEATH by rust - 96 Audi A6 Avant 2.5l TDI
GONE :( 87 4ktq - 4 FOX SNAKES
DEAD :( - 1996 S6 mit TDI
chaloux

Postby Driggs » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:23 pm

dana wrote:i hate to be blunt, but fuck the 10vt. Not worth the effort of installing one when a 20vt is very marginally more at this point. You could get an urq with a 3b in europe. It can be made very period correct.

Please send me examples where I can pick up a running 20vt for 500-750. Because at most anytime you can get a running mc1/mc2 for less than a grand.. i very rarely ever see running 20v's that arent beat to shit for less than 2 grand. having an entire car is the best way to do the swap too as you can get it running perfect then swap EVERYTHING over that you need.. instead of finding little parts here or there.

just my 2 cents.. i just had to pass on two running 5k mc1's as i dont have the money.. and I am putting an mc1 in my 84 4kq from my 88 5ktq. why? because I dont come across a running 20vt for so cheap. and frankly, theres nothing wrong with a 10vt in a b2 chassis.. Mikey you should know this.
83 urq
84 4ksq
91 200q 20v
Pair of 81 GPz 550's
74 Norton Commando

http://b2resource.com
Driggs

Postby dana » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Driggs wrote:
dana wrote:i hate to be blunt, but fuck the 10vt. Not worth the effort of installing one when a 20vt is very marginally more at this point. You could get an urq with a 3b in europe. It can be made very period correct.

Please send me examples where I can pick up a running 20vt for 500-750. Because at most anytime you can get a running mc1/mc2 for less than a grand.. i very rarely ever see running 20v's that arent beat to shit for less than 2 grand. having an entire car is the best way to do the swap too as you can get it running perfect then swap EVERYTHING over that you need.. instead of finding little parts here or there.

once the swap is all said and done, what percentage of the overall project is the cost of the engine? $500 is basically nothing in the scope of an old audi resto mod project.

However, I have bought a running but crappy urs4 for $500, a 200 20vt for $300 that had a blown clutch, and another with a blown ball joint for $500. These were all on the local VT craigslist finds. I also bought a complete 20vt swap with harness and ecu for one of my cars for $700 off audifans.

May I suggest an automated craiglist search that will alert you when something in your desired distance appears that fits your search criteria, or use a CL search engine like searchtempest.com.

Anyways, no judgement from me for any engine swap anyone cares to do. Clearly this is not a practical hobby, if it were we would all be buying new kias. I did a TDI swap. Probably one of the worst possible "bang for the buck" engine swaps ever. I could have built a 500whp 20vt for what I have into the car.

However, from the way I see things, I would never bother with a 10vt when the extra cost of a 20vt is an accounting error, and the 10vt offers nothing over the 20vt in ease, reliability, power or economy.
current:
-mk4 tdi wagon with some mods
-TDI b3 90q, holset turbo, be strong little connecting rods!
-the turbo tractor
past:
-11 second 90q junker
-20vt swapped 90q winter beater
-efi 10vt 4kq
-way too many other long gone urs's, 200's 4000's, b5's
dana

Postby Driggs » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:59 pm

dana wrote:
Driggs wrote:

once the swap is all said and done, what percentage of the overall project is the cost of the engine? $500 is basically nothing in the scope of an old audi resto mod project.

However, I have bought a running but crappy urs4 for $500, a 200 20vt for $300 that had a blown clutch, and another with a blown ball joint for $500. These were all on the local VT craigslist finds. I also bought a complete 20vt swap with harness and ecu for one of my cars for $700 off audifans.

May I suggest an automated craiglist search that will alert you when something in your desired distance appears that fits your search criteria, or use a CL search engine like searchtempest.com.

Anyways, no judgement from me for any engine swap anyone cares to do. Clearly this is not a practical hobby, if it were we would all be buying new kias. I did a TDI swap. Probably one of the worst possible "bang for the buck" engine swaps ever. I could have built a 500whp 20vt for what I have into the car.

However, from the way I see things, I would never bother with a 10vt when the extra cost of a 20vt is an accounting error, and the 10vt offers nothing over the 20vt in ease, reliability, power or economy.

All fair points.. im not looking for a 20vt, but I look all the time for any older audis and come across way more 10vts than anything else..

And personally the 10vt to me is more desireable.. i have a 20v in my 200 and love it.. really love it. but there is just something about the 10vt to me.. its attractive.. no, i dont smoke crack.

that being said if 2 3b's were dropped into my lap id be tempted not to put them in my 84 4kq and 83 urq... but i am also very tempted to find a 5 cylinder tdi and put it in the urq
83 urq
84 4ksq
91 200q 20v
Pair of 81 GPz 550's
74 Norton Commando

http://b2resource.com
Driggs

Postby AudiSport4000 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:34 pm

chaloux wrote:What is that coolant? Looks like mud lol

I blame the hipster instagram filter :). Its just green coolant. I have G11 to go in when I do the timing belt service.
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby AudiSport4000 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:24 pm

Been a minute, so I came to post an update. The 200 was sold on BaT in late summer and is now enjoying the weather in CA. Bittersweet letting that one go, but I'm happy it found a loving home. I had been considering what to replace it with. I was thinking of a UrS6 wagon, but I started thinking logically, which rarely happens.
I added my first non German car ever to the stable. Its only a lease, so in 3 years I'll re-evaluate where things are at. 2017 Honda CR-V handles most of the duties for now while I can get the 4kq up to snuff. And since the 4kq is my only Audi at the moment, it will get Carlisle duties. I have not had a 4kq at Carlisle since my old 4ktq of yesteryear.

What does this all mean? A few things. The 4kq sits and rarely gets driven, but it may be pressed more into winter duty, we'll see. There is a lot I would like to get done before May, so you may also see a wanted ad for certain parts. Below are the plans and work that needs done before Carlisle.

Timing belt/water pump service. I have all the parts for this now. Who wants to come help? :)
Brake service. Need a new brake proportioning valve as mine has seeped for a while. I have new pads/rotors ready to install.
AC service. Would like to get it working, but need a condensor. The one I got on here I sold to another Audi member in need.
Suspension overhaul. H&R springs with Sachs Advantage struts, and all the new stuff that goes along with it.
I'll need a roof rack with bike attachments if anyone has some they are looking to sell :)

Nothing else really at the moment. In terms of future plans, who knows. May wait til I move and have more space before any sort of swap begins. So until then I'll enjoy it for what it is.

The one thing I opted to do was detail the drivers side of the car. Using my older PC with used uber foam pads. I was just curious how much I could bring the paint back, as it was pretty scratched. Didnt come out too bad considering the pads and equipment I have. The top surfaces of the car are totally shot, I'm not even wasting my time on them.

Before

After

So, hopefully you will see this thing at Carlisle in May!
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Previous

Return to Projects