NHRA Spring Nationals

General automotive discussion

NHRA Spring Nationals

Postby FFF » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:57 pm

Not Audi related but it’s car stuff and cool (in my mind any way). Conditions were perfect, the final pass of qualifying Got a chance thanks to Pennzoil to hang out inside the ropes of Leah Pritchett’s Top Fuel pit while they rebuilt the engine in her car... have to say it was pretty cool. Then got to hang out with Matt Hagen for a bit going through the staging lanes... I’ve had little hits of Nitro fumes but when they started it up, we were under the awning - no respirator, it was unreal!!

FFF

Re: NHRA Spring Nationals

Postby FFF » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:01 pm

FFF wrote:Not Audi related but it’s car stuff and cool (in my mind any way). Conditions were perfect, the final pass of qualifying Got a chance thanks to Pennzoil to hang out inside the ropes of Leah Pritchett’s Top Fuel pit while they rebuilt the engine in her car... have to say it was pretty cool. Then got to hang out with Matt Hagen for a bit going through the staging lanes... I’ve had little hits of Nitro fumes but when they started it up, we were under the awning - no respirator, it was unreal!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
FFF

Postby FFF » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Can’t seem to post more than one picture with my IPad...

FFF

Postby FFF » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:10 pm

Then we got to hang out trackside right by the burnout box...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF

Postby audifreakjim » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:13 pm

The sensory overload you get from those things is unbelievable. Looks like you had a good hook up.
audifreakjim

Postby DE80q » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:07 am

Having been to a couple top fuel events here in PA, I know what you mean about the effects of the "golden cloud". The fumes coming from those engines will completely take your breath away and make you eyes water. Just after start up has the most effect on you.

I've been working with my boss on his super comp drag rail. Lots of fun, but the rule book has a lot of "grey area". Lots of little things on the cars can be "read into".
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
1991 Audi Coupe Quattro (project: my first 20v)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2014 Chevy traverse (It's what she wanted)
DE80q

Postby FFF » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:32 am

audifreakjim wrote:The sensory overload you get from those things is unbelievable. Looks like you had a good hook up.

That’s a good way of putting it, very difficult to put words to the sound and pressure. Closest other personal experience I can reference is surface dynamite charges going off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF

Postby FFF » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:36 am

DE80q wrote:Having been to a couple top fuel events here in PA, I know what you mean about the effects of the "golden cloud". The fumes coming from those engines will completely take your breath away and make you eyes water. Just after start up has the most effect on you.

I've been working with my boss on his super comp drag rail. Lots of fun, but the rule book has a lot of "grey area". Lots of little things on the cars can be "read into".

Well “they say” your only cheating if you get caught, they all play in the grey, which is good of course because that’s were the innovation happens.
FFF

Return to General