B3 suspension help

General automotive discussion

B3 suspension help

Postby Lucky » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:52 am

Im at a bit of a cross roads and am looking for some advice. Currently I am chewing up the outside edge of my tires at the track. I have the camber maxed out on the ball joints, and currently my lower control arms are level/straight across when sitting at weight. This means my camber goes more positive under load.

To fix this I am looking at two products from akmotorsports.

1st would be to get their lower control arms which add a bit of castor and allow for more camber. They are also stronger over all.

2nd would be the tubular subframe. It has mounting points for the lower control arm that are higher than stock which would improve my lower control arm angle helping the macpherson setup. I could also add some camber strut mounts up top for this price point. The subframe would help prevent the positive camber under load.

I guess the question is which will return me better results. I can only afford one of the options this year.

Any input is welcome. Thanks guys!
1988 audi 80, 1994 Urs4, 2005 Ranger
Lucky

Re: B3 suspension help

Postby PRY4SNO » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:18 am

While I don't have any hands on experience with either, I'd wager the subframe would be the best option. You can add more adjustability and retain stock parts in the meantime -- which are cheaper/easier to source replacements if required. Not to mention you can still add the LCAs later as well. Another benefit would be definitely increasing rigidity over the OEM subframes.

Did you manage to get any info on the other option from DM Developments, or are you set on AK MS parts? I have no issue with Albert or his products, just have heard his subframes aren't as good as the DMD ones. Something about geometry and overall design, but can't recall exactly where I read that or from whom. Pretty sure it was on S2forum a couple years ago.
EDIT: pretty sure this is the thread I had in mind:
https://www.s2forum.com/forum/technical ... r-subframe

Found he's got a twitter account, if that helps. I'm sure he's on FB but I'm not so don't have a link.

https://twitter.com/dmdevelopments?lang=en
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby Lucky » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:23 pm

I'd be hesitant to get something from dm developments. If they only operate on Twitter or fb I'm not interested. That Twitter hasn't been updated since 2017 and the website only says look for changes soon.

Aside from all that the dmd one doesn't have the adjustability in the lca mounts where the akm one does.

I have been kind of leaning towards the subframe though. Seems better to maintain a better geometry in the suspension then just keep adding camber lol.
Lucky

Postby PRY4SNO » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:24 am

Your reasoning is solid.

The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps the engineer isn't as good a salesman as, well... the salesman. I don't think Albert makes all his AKMS parts. From what I can tell, he licenses other products -- no fault suggested -- that he can sell at a required volume.

The DMD stuff appears to sell in volume, and be more rigid/lightweight. Meanwhile, he doesn't spend any more time hawking something online (that's not even actually his) than is absolutely necessary. Just builds stuff. And lets the results speak for themselves.

At the end of the day, I bet either SF will be a clear cut upgrade over the stock option. If I had the cash to pony up, I'd get one. Or the other. Probably choose based on customer service, all else being equal. In the meantime, I've got to settle for welding the seams and installing better bushings from Jared @ HPR. Nice thing is the upgraded SF will easily transfer to my other chassis when/if I upgrade the Coupe.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

|| Spare parts for sale
PRY4SNO

Postby DE80q » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:04 am

I wish I had time to weld my subframes when they were out. As it is, the we're just re-bushed with the HPR bushings and put back on. If I had the extra funds to throw around, I would absolutely go for the subfames first. Get things lined out on the factory arms and joint, and if need be, then get the arms.
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
1991 Audi Coupe Quattro (project: my first 20v)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2014 Chevy traverse (It's what she wanted)
DE80q

Postby ChrisAudi80 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:20 am

You could get some lower ball joint extenders to improve your roll center. They would make your lower wish bones have more of an angle.
96 S6 auto
95 80Q AEB VEMS
ChrisAudi80

Postby Lucky » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:29 pm

ChrisAudi80 wrote:You could get some lower ball joint extenders to improve your roll center. They would make your lower wish bones have more of an angle.

I run it pretty hard on the track, that isnt something I want in the front end. Maybe if it was just a cruiser I would buy it, but not for the abuse that poor front end takes lol

DE80q wrote:If I had the extra funds to throw around, I would absolutely go for the subfames first. Get things lined out on the factory arms and joint, and if need be, then get the arms.

I am leaning towards that option since I can use a more streetable camber adjustment since I wont go towards positive camber every time it loads up. If I go with the lcas then I can run more camber but it is overcorrecting so when things load up it remains at a useable camber.
Lucky

Return to General