Manifold piping size & Merge Collector Fab

General automotive discussion

Re: Manifold piping size & Merge Collector Fab

Postby Afterthought » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:18 am

I would have been all over that . Stainless pipe scraps are hard to come by because I try not to waste it .
Used to be able to get it from work but now they donate it.

Manifold is almost done . Welds are marginal ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Afterthought

Postby ringbearer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Looks great! You should be proud of it :)
ringbearer

Postby audifreakjim » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Heck yeah! Nice work!
audifreakjim

Postby Afterthought » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:40 pm

I’m definitely happy with it for the first one, it will certainly suit my needs .
Flange is just tacked on right now for fit up.
Took probably a day so far , around 8 hours to fit up and weld the runners . I think it would take me a full day to make another one . I would like to either replace or remove and coat the one in my URQ as it’s carbon steel and looks like shit already with only 1300 miles on it .

I just did this however it was convenient, and this wouldn’t be for a twin scroll , but I may have to look at which or if certain runners should be merging together in any particular firing order or if it matters .
It can see there would be quite a few different ways to lay it out . Also different merge angles, this is a 12 degree, pretty tough to weld .
Afterthought

Postby FFF » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:31 am

Very nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FFF

Postby audifreakjim » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:55 am

Ideally they would fire into the collector adjacent to each other in a circular motion to form a vortex.
audifreakjim

Postby Afterthought » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:18 pm

I think 1-2-4-5-3 can be done. I made about 3 collectors so If I want to make one differently I can. Have about 3 cars that could use headers.
I mocked this up using a EWG indy 7163 but I really need to get my hands on an IWG turbo that's slightly larger so I can see what space I would have .
Afterthought

Postby Afterthought » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:08 pm

Here’s the next step. The flange isn’t done yet for two reasons ,
The first is that it’s 304SS but the manifold is 321. I think those two metals can be welded together using 308L Filler but I need to look into that .
The only source I have found for the flanges is in like Sweden but I’m working on drawing them in CAD so I can have a local place cut them because I’m sure at some point I will want to remake or change something . I have intake and exhaust drawn just not tested

Second reason , it’s not flat . Like right out of the box the flange is already warped . So I’m making a fixture for it . It’s milled perfectly flat, and I’m thinking if I can get just the right dia metal legs for it I might be able to bend and rotate it from side to side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Afterthought

Postby jbrentd » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:31 pm

I wish I had fab skills like some of you guys. I guess I’ll live vicariously via the forum. Nice work!
jbrentd

Postby speeding-g60 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:06 am

use 308 or 316 filler for that.
speeding-g60

Postby Afterthought » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:53 am

speeding-g60 wrote:use 308 or 316 filler for that.

10-4 , thanks !

jbrentd wrote:I wish I had fab skills like some of you guys. I guess I’ll live vicariously via the forum. Nice work!

I never have been trained on any metal work or anything but wanting to mod my Audi’s forced me to start making stuff because the parts that I wanted were not made available or required welding (like coilovers for example ) or I couldn’t afford them if they were . It’s been a long process to even make something I’m willing to show to people ha, especially when welding stainless is involved . But everyone has to start somewhere . I don’t save money doing it or anything but I get time in my shop and learn stuff
Afterthought

Postby audifreakjim » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:18 pm

Amen to that!
audifreakjim

Postby jbrentd » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Afterthought wrote:I never have been trained on any metal work or anything but wanting to mod my Audi’s forced me to start making stuff because the parts that I wanted were not made available or required welding (like coilovers for example ) or I couldn’t afford them if they were . It’s been a long process to even make something I’m willing to show to people ha, especially when welding stainless is involved . But everyone has to start somewhere . I don’t save money doing it or anything but I get time in my shop and learn stuff

I was almost there once. I had a project YJ that I wanted to make bumpers for. Bought a used Hobart mig welder. Sold the project, the welder sat, didn’t have enough space, and it got sold too. Not that a mig welder can do this type of work, but it would have been a nice skill for me to learn. Someday I want a dedicated shop (that I can’t afford) for all of the tools (that I can’t afford) for all of the projects (that I can’t afford)...someday. lol
jbrentd

Previous

Return to General