Tail Light Sealing Material

General automotive discussion

Tail Light Sealing Material

Postby SEStone » Tue May 21, 2019 4:06 pm

Getting the Coupe ready for a cross country trip, and one thing I'm working on is keeping the exhaust smell out of the interior. When I repainted the car a couple years ago, I removed the tail lights and in the process removed/lost much of the rubber sealing material around the edges. I'm pretty sure I threw them back on without replacing it, and at this point it would make a lot of sense if exhaust was getting in through the back of the car.

I've been searching for all kinds of stuff I can use to reseal these. There is some word like 'mastic' I'm trying to think of but can't find it. Anyone have any recs on a product that works well for resealing lights against the body?

Sam
Sam Stone
((\/)) Evolution Motorsports
SEStone

Re: Tail Light Sealing Material

Postby Afterthought » Tue May 21, 2019 4:20 pm

SEStone wrote:Getting the Coupe ready for a cross country trip, and one thing I'm working on is keeping the exhaust smell out of the interior. When I repainted the car a couple years ago, I removed the tail lights and in the process removed/lost much of the rubber sealing material around the edges. I'm pretty sure I threw them back on without replacing it, and at this point it would make a lot of sense if exhaust was getting in through the back of the car.

I've been searching for all kinds of stuff I can use to reseal these. There is some word like 'mastic' I'm trying to think of but can't find it. Anyone have any recs on a product that works well for resealing lights against the body?

Sam

I’ve found similar stuff at NAPA , but the factory part number for “sealing cord” is AKD 497 010 04
Afterthought

Postby varia » Tue May 21, 2019 4:40 pm

SEStone wrote:Getting the Coupe ready for a cross country trip, and one thing I'm working on is keeping the exhaust smell out of the interior. When I repainted the car a couple years ago, I removed the tail lights and in the process removed/lost much of the rubber sealing material around the edges. I'm pretty sure I threw them back on without replacing it, and at this point it would make a lot of sense if exhaust was getting in through the back of the car.

Sam

autozone butyl tape. warm it up before install

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues ... r/501842_0
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

project 2226
varia

Postby audifreakjim » Tue May 21, 2019 4:42 pm

Ditto on the butyl tape, works great
audifreakjim

Postby ringbearer » Wed May 22, 2019 8:20 am

3M strip caulk is my favorite, comes in thin strips and easy to use.
ringbearer

Postby Peters » Tue May 28, 2019 3:43 pm

Peters

Return to General